Size & Position dialog behaving badly

Started by Jennifer, May 29, 2019, 08:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Does anyone have a rational explanation for why neither the Escape or Enter keys, or any other keys, as far as I can tell, will exit the Size & Position dialog?

If I click on a shape and then go to the S&P dialog to change some setting, the only way I know of to get out is to click somewhere on the page. Of course, this cancels the shape selection, even if I click on it, so I have to go select it again. It's extra and seemingly unnecessary work for no gain that I can see.

Am I missing something or is this just a really dumb design decision (or decision failure)?

Has this been fixed in later versions?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

I believe that's how it's always worked.  If the SnP is showing, when you select a shape, the info populates.  That's how it works. How else does it get the info?   I don't understand why this is a problem.  Typically, I park the SnP on the left edge of the screen, along with the DEW and the Shapes windows.
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on May 31, 2019, 02:04:51 AM
I believe that's how it's always worked.  If the SnP is showing, when you select a shape, the info populates.  That's how it works. How else does it get the info?
I'm fine with this part.

QuoteI don't understand why this is a problem.
The problem is not that the S&P dialog is visible or populated. It's that if I go into it to change a setting, there is no way that I can see to get out and back to the page. Let's say I change the width. The tab key will take me to the next setting but still in the S&P dialog. In order to get back to the page, I have to click somewhere on the page.

Even keyboard shortcuts can't break the lock on the dialog door. If I press Ctrl+z (undo), Visio will undo the last change I made, but I will still be in the $%&#*@# dialog.

Is that clearer?

wapperdude

That's much clearer, even before the, uh, shouting.  Yeah,

Basically, as of 2019, it's still the same.  What seems to work, after entering a new value, hit enter...which you probably do.  Then left click after the units...well, the right most end.  This frees up the SnP, you can now go back and drag your shape all around.  That's what it's all about.

Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on June 01, 2019, 12:10:55 AM
That's much clearer, even before the, uh, shouting.
That wasn't shouting, sweetheart. But it was colorful!

QuoteBasically, as of 2019, it's still the same.  What seems to work, after entering a new value, hit enter...which you probably do.  Then left click after the units...well, the right most end.  This frees up the SnP, you can now go back and drag your shape all around.  That's what it's all about.
I thought "putting it in and out and shaking it all about" was what it was all about.