Copies of images not the same size

Started by Jennifer, May 14, 2019, 04:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I placed a standard ellipse (1.5 x 2.25) on a page. I copied it to the clipboard (Ctrl+c) and then pasted it back as a picture (Alt+Ctrl+v, Picture (Enhanced Metafile)). That object is 1.4823 x 2.2067. Why is it not 1.5 x 2.25?

I then saved the original ellipse as a jpeg and then copied it back onto the Visio page. That object is 1.5104 x 2.2604. Why is it not 1.5 x 2.25?

What do I have to do to get a graphic object on the page that is the exact same size as the original Visio object?

I need this because I have several groups of objects containing a collection of shapes and text boxes. I want to scale them as a group to various sizes. If I do this in Visio, the shapes scale, but the text does not.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Paul Herber

It's easier to get the text to scale.
Open the shape's shapesheet and set cell

Character -> Size to
=GUARD(10 pt*Height/0.75 in)

Fiddle with the 10 and the 0.75 to get the inital size you want.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Paul Herber

When Visio shapes are converted to images there is a converion from internal units (inches) into dots per inch (dpi). There will always be a rounding problem somewhere. The image also contains a border (why, I don't know). This adds to the actual size of the pasted image. You could use an image editor to remove the border.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Croc

Good practice is to create a group whose outer shape is a simple shape, and inside it is one or more pictures. Then the dimensions are determined by the outer shape.
QuoteThe image also contains a border
Border is needed in order not to cut off part of the lines. At the 1x1 square, half the line thickness protrudes on each side. Therefore, the apparent size is larger than 1.

Jennifer

Quote from: Paul Herber on May 14, 2019, 04:09:34 PM
It's easier to get the text to scale.
Open the shape's shapesheet and set cell

Character -> Size to
=GUARD(10 pt*Height/0.75 in)

Fiddle with the 10 and the 0.75 to get the inital size you want.

I found an easier (for me) way. I just paste the text box as a picture and replace the text box with the image. Now it scales with the rest of the group.  8)

Jennifer

Quote from: Croc on May 14, 2019, 04:32:18 PM
Good practice is to create a group whose outer shape is a simple shape, and inside it is one or more pictures. Then the dimensions are determined by the outer shape.

I'll give that a try. Thanks

QuoteThe image also contains a border
Border is needed in order not to cut off part of the lines. At the 1x1 square, half the line thickness protrudes on each side. Therefore, the apparent size is larger than 1.

That makes sense.