Lineweights Increments

Started by PiP, April 15, 2019, 11:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PiP

Hello,

Am trying to work out what is the best way to get lineweight increments in mm (or the the closest pt equivalent to mm).  Drafting standards that I am looking to replicate date back to old pencil thicknesses, nominally 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.7, 1.0mm.

So to the questions:
The line weights (widths) in visio 2013 default to increments of 0.25pt (via format spin > button).  Is there any way to adjust this increment value of the spin button.
Home > Shape Styles > Line > Weights presents 9 line weights starting from 0.25pt - is there a way to customise this list?

Regards,

PiP

Yacine

I wouldn't know of a possibility to modify the spin button, but what about line styles. Tha't something commonly used in CAD software and basically exactly where you're aiming for.
My 2 cents, ...
Yacine

vojo

1 mm = 2.83 pts

A couple of ideas
1)  if you are creating shapes, you could add some intelligence to the shape to round the line weight setting to pts near mm
     (could be another good use for all the SETATREF formulas)
2) you could make a macro that
     - on save or macro launch, walks thru ALL the shapes and adjust lineweight to near mm
        (for example, if somebody entered line weight 6pt, then macro converts to 5.5pt for 5.75pt ==> ~2mm)
     - it might be as easy as just dividing by 2.83 and let visio round the pt number for you
3) as pointed out, you could make a set of custom lines that reflect the nearest mm
    (0.5mm = 1.5pt....0.75 mm = 2.25pt...10mm = 28.25pt....so in the end, maybe 10 custom lines from 1.5pt to 28.25pt)
    (pick which one you want ....right tool for the right jobs  ;-)   )
4) Lastly, could explore the following
    File==>options...there are setting for units.   I believe there is one for font in pts...could try to see if mm supported
    That may trick visio to switch lineweight to mm  (no promises).

Not an expert visio core engine, but I would be surprised if you adjust the core engine

PiP

Thanks both,

In the first instance I will have a further look into line styles as mentioned by Yacine and the shape smarts (Vojo).

As an aside, is there a (keyboard) shortcut method to apply particular line styles?  Can I edit / delete / reorder the built in styles?

Regards,

PiP

PiP

Hello Again,

I've spent enough time now to know I am missing something pretty basic with regard to applying styles.  No amount of googling seems to shed light on what I'm doing wrong.

I've created a number of styles which successfully appear in the drawing explorer, but I don't see any way that I can apply these styles to objects on the drawing?

I've avoided using themes as all I'm wanting is essentially a black and white drawing - I don't need or want anything more sophisticated.  That said do I need to create a black and white theme?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards,

PiP

Yacine

Hello Pip,
the easiest way to apply styles to shapes is add the according controls to the ribbon. You'll find a dropdown list for the text, the line and the fill styles.
Yacine

PiP

Thanks Yacine,

With a bit of luck I think I've done what you're leading to - adding "style" to ribbon where I get a drop down list that replicates styles in drawing explorer - this is pretty much exactly what I was looking for I think - can't believe there is so little inquiry around this line of question - which also makes me think I don't really know what I am doing!

Thanks again!

PiP

PiP

A further item to this Yacine - one that I don't think has any solution, but will ask anyway.

Have added style to the ribbon, works as you have described is what I was looking for... BUT, when I add a new style (say like a new line weight) it appears to add them to the drop down list in order of creation, rather that (say) alphabetical, which is what I am really wanting.  Is there anyway to get visio to re-enumerate the style list in the ribbon, essentially in the same order as presented in the drawing explorer?

Regards,

PiP

vojo

my 2 cents from the peanut gallery

I would think you would want them in the "most recently used" order.  At least for me, if I am doing a drawing, the line width tends to be consistent for that drawing. 

I guess somebody could make the style "AAAA_ZZ99_coolness" to make sure its at the top of alphabetical sort.

PiP

most recently used would be better than what I am finding - ideally for me though I'd prefer a fixed list ordered alphabetically by name which allows me to change names for popular items as you've suggested.

Problem is that it is neither of these and is made worse when you delete an item in the middle of the list and re-add... ends up going to bottom of drop down list from what i can see