Shape numbering for different pages

Started by Dusty_Rhodes, March 19, 2019, 07:00:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty_Rhodes

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible when using the piping and instrumentation diagrams template to have the counting/ adding secuence number for shapes page specific ? currently the shapes are counted in the whole document. This is really anyoing since on page 1 there could maybe be 50 valves abd then on page w the first valve added to the page begins with the number 51 instead of 1. Does someone know if this can be fixed

Surrogate

Visio out-of-box cann't do it! You need write your custom code for add this opportunity!

Dusty_Rhodes

Hello,

Surrogate are you aweare of any examples or threads discussing something similare to this ?

Yacine

You may have a look a the attached VBA form.
The captions are in German, but I'm sure you can work that out.
Yacine

wapperdude

QuoteDoes someone know if this can be fixed

The Visio add-on, Visio Extras>Number Shapes will do that on a per page basis.  You can select shapes to be numbered.  Various options.  Just explore.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

Quote from: wapperdude on March 19, 2019, 02:23:39 PM
QuoteDoes someone know if this can be fixed

The Visio add-on, Visio Extras>Number Shapes will do that on a per page basis.  You can select shapes to be numbered.  Various options.  Just explore.

Wapperdude

I had a look at that, but it doesn't actually renumber unless some shape needs renumbering.

"That's Numberwang!"
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

@Paul:  I disagree.  See added page 4 of attached.  Initially nothing numbered.  Then, selected each section and just numbered, 1, 2, 3, ... etc.  Yes, for each sequence, you have to run the add-on, and reset the starting number.  How else would it know.  Since you can number just selected shapes, you can indeed select just one and renumber.  But back to Page4.  Having 3 separate sets of shapes, each numbered as selected group, I reselected, added prefix, and renumbered.  In the case of the rectangles, I set starting number at "-1", and increment by "-1", and, well, you can see result.

I did not check the box to keep numbering on drop, but did select Autonumber.  The Manual number is a bit of a pain, but, could works with proper "methodology".  The resequence is a bit of a bust. 

Visio's numbering scheme is relatively flexible.  What it doesn't do is set a starting prefix based upon a master shape type, e.g., resistor, switch, valve, etc.
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

Ah, we are talking about two different things! The Shape Numbering is not the same as the tag numbering in P&ID.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

Ah!  I need to read more carefully.  That's a critical distinction.  My bad.
Visio 2019 Pro

Dusty_Rhodes

Thx for the responses.

Yacine. will have a look at the VBA forms tonight and see if i can figure it out :)