Outline/Halo around shapes

Started by Dusty_Rhodes, February 18, 2019, 09:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty_Rhodes

Hello,

I am making a flow diagram for a process flow for a few components. The problem i have is that i would like to have an outline/halo aroun every shape and connection line.  Currently i am drawing this manually by hand. This takes forever and is very tricky to get the outline equaly wide around every object. Is there no quick way of getting an outline drawn automatcily around selected shapes and connections ?

Paul Herber

Which version of Visio do you have? Visio 2016 onwards has a "glow" effect which looks halo-like.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Dusty_Rhodes

I am running visio online plan 2. I am not looking for a "Halo Glow" what i am mostly interested i is getting the outline that looks something like the attachment (note it is drawn quick now so it is not symetrical) but the idea is to get an outline around the item.

Paul Herber

I think the only way to create this would be to have a geometry section added to the shape. Each shape would be a special case, there is no automatic way of doing this.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

I tend to agree with Paul unless the outline has no "air" gaps between part and outline.
If latter, could copy shape and grow it by *1.1 in X and Y, paint all black or whatever

vojo

wait....i guess you could do this

White air gap = shape *1.1. in X and Y and paint white
Blackout line = orginal shape *1.15 in X and Y paint black

Black farthest back
white next
then shape

wapperdude

You don't need to do the extra "white" shape Vojo suggests unless you really want a solid white border between the shape and the "glow".   (Although, that might look cool.)  Rather, as Paul suggests, create a 2nd geometry section and set the geometry.nofill cell = true.

There might be easier way to generate the outline.  Use the offset operation.  It is on the Developer tab, I believe, under the "Operations" heading for the "Shapes" partition....if memory serves correctly. 

Basically, select your shape, select Offset operation, enter distance from shape, and the operation will generate two outline tracking.  One around the outside and one around the inside of the shape.  Delete those 2nd one. 

Note, this is a tracing, so the outline will follow the actual contour.  If you want a more "rectilinear" outline, you would need to edit the outline shape.  When satisfied, group them. 

Might be easier then generating the 2nd geometry manual entry method.
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Yacine

wapperdude

Yep.  That's what I was talking about.
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Yacine

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro