Managing Shape Data GUI

Started by vojo, January 17, 2019, 06:32:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vojo

Visio 2013

Ok...so I have a group of shapes. Every time I change the format of one of the child shapes, the shape data prompt fires for the parent shape.  How can enable/disable??
Specifically, I want shape data at parent level to show ONLY when shape data button on menu bar is selected
(not any old "spontaneous" presentation due to some child shape format change)

wapperdude

Hey Vojo,
Can you upload a simple example?
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

wapperdude

Haven't found a solution, but, the cause is the DOCMD(1312) reacts to the active shape, not to the shape containing the command.  In your scenario, the Master level shape is selected, so it's the active shape.  You push into the appropriate subshape and call DOCMD(1312) from there.  Unfortunately, the subshape is not the active shape.

DOCMD didn't accept format sheet.xyz!DOCMD(1312).  So, it's not pass-able.  Yuk.

Somehow, you need to select / activate the subshape first.

Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

don't worry about the DOCMD ...issue there is that you have to select shape since DOCMD (as well as visio in general) are only for the shape selected...hence why I am heading down this path

So if you look at a panel shapesheet, you will see a geometry3 in front and back panels that bring a tab,
so that you can select it. (back panel hides behind other shapes..so need a way to select).
The actions rows at the parent level, enables the a give tab...user can then select which one since you have to select the child of interest to get the shape data for that selected child.
(it appears the parent action row to change shape edit behavior does not seem to create this issue).

The problem is when the action is picked at the parent, the enabling a given tab of given child launches parent shape data GUI (which is not wanted).   It sort seems that there is a related effect of actions trigger shape data screens.

FYI...I am working of do all this in shape data (context sensitive presentation of decision choices). 
So this effort to make action row work might be mute.

vojo

now all thru shapedata...no actions approach.

Functionally works...got to clean up

wapperdude

Ah!!  I see the purpose of the little tab.  It actually does select the shape.  So, In the main menu, instead of firing the DOCMD, eliminate that function.  Just keep the ability to keep the desired edit target.  Then,  add actions to each subshape to call the DOCMD.  So, after tab is clicked.  Subshape gets selected.  Right click menu allows you to select the ShapeData.  There's your menu.

You had all the hard work in place.  Just need to change location of the DOCMD of the subshapes.
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

You are completely right

Thx for the help