Visio ShapeSheet ShapeData: keep two rows in sync

Started by chelmite, December 30, 2018, 07:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chelmite

I have two Shape Data rows for a Shape's ShapeSheet:

Shape Data  Label   Prompt   Type Format                                                     Value                       Invisible
Prop.Type   "Type"   ""         4 "Alpha;Beta;Gamma;Delta;Epsilon;Zeta;Eta;Theta;Iota;Kappa" INDEX(4,Prop.Type.Format)   False
Prop.Abbrev "Abbrev" No Formula 4 "A;B;G;D;E;Z;E;T;I;K"                                      INDEX(4,Prop.Abbrev.Format) True

The way I intent to use this is to have the user select the Type, say Epsilon, and then have the Abbrev automatically switch to the corresponding value in the Prop.Abbrev.Format.

Note: the values used here are placeholders for the actual values for my application, which are not shown here so they don't distract from the real answer I need, how to keep the selections in sync when the first one is selected or changed.

The "INDEX(,Prop.Type.Format)" is created automatically when a value is selected in the Shape Data dialog. How can I get access to the index value? ("4" in this case) What functions operate on the string array that is the Format field?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Yacine

Hi Chelmite,
You don't want to synchronize the two lists.
What you want is the nth element of the second list.
n being the position of the element selected in the first list.
This position is: lookup(prop.type, prop.type.format)
Now you replace the number 4 from your post by this formula and you get:
  Prop.Abbrev = index(lookup(prop.type, prop.type.format), prop.abrrev.format)
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/client-developer/visio/lookup-function

Actually Prop.Abbrev doesn't even need to be a list. It can be a simple text (string) field - eg user.Abbrev for the calculated value and user.AbbrevList for the values list.
Yacine

chelmite

Ah, LOOKUP works on the stringified list! I thought it worked on a real list, which is why I rejected it.
Thank you!