Show text when double clicking on shape

Started by grumpyguy6, January 14, 2019, 06:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumpyguy6

Hi All! I'm a complete noob at Visio and I just replied to this thread:
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=5628.0

On the off chance that no one responds, I'm starting a new one. Can someone please help me figure out how to have a text box appear when double clicking a shape? I guess it would need to be done through layers? I'm so lost at this point......Thanks!

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

grumpyguy6

Quote from: Paul Herber on January 14, 2019, 07:53:48 PM
This any use?

http://www.paulherber.co.uk/articles/visio-articles/output-dialog/
Hi Paul,
Your's was one of the first things I found. Unfortunately, I have a list of names I need to have show up which can have 30 or more lines. Anything else you can think of would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

wapperdude

Could use a little more info...but, for now, will assume the most simplistic approach.
1) Your shape has a list of names
2) You want to toggle the visibility on/off using double click.

This can be readily done in shapesheet.   Enter the following into the Event DblClick cell:  =SETF(GetRef(HideText),NOT(HideText))

The HideText cell is found in the Miscellaneous Section of the shapesheet.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

grumpyguy6

Quote from: wapperdude on January 15, 2019, 01:26:49 AM
Could use a little more info...but, for now, will assume the most simplistic approach.
1) Your shape has a list of names
2) You want to toggle the visibility on/off using double click.

This can be readily done in shapesheet.   Enter the following into the Event DblClick cell:  =SETF(GetRef(HideText),NOT(HideText))

The HideText cell is found in the Miscellaneous Section of the shapesheet.

HTH
Wapperdude
Sorry, typical user mistake...not enough info.

So here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
I have created a Visio diagram to show our SharePoint permission structure. In an effort to keep it as clean as possible, I wanted to set it up so that clicking on a shape in the right most column will cause a list of names to pop up.

My apologies, I had to blur it a bit since this whole thing started with a privacy issue in one of our overseas sites, but I've attached two screenshots to this post. The first (visio_example.jpg) shows what the diagram currently looks like, and the second (visio_desired_results.jpg) shows what I'd like to have happen when double clicking a shape in the indicated column. Ideally, a second double click would hide the additional shape, causing the diagram to resume it's original look. And then the process would repeat for every shape in that column (with each shape being linked to a different list of names).

I hope this gives a good overview of what I'm working with and what I hope to accomplish. If there's any additional information needed, please don't hesitate to ask, as this project is really important to my organization and I'm getting quite a lot of pressure from multiple levels of management to get it finished...thanks in advance for all the help!

wapperdude

I can think of two ways to do this...
1) using layers
2) using a grouped shape

First approach is nice in that the list shape can be placed easily, independently of the reference shape.  But, it does mean a layer for each list shape.  Certainly doable. 

Second approach creates a "hard" link between ref and list shapes...which gets severed if ungrouped. But, very easy to copy paste on same or different pages.  The dbl click formula above, placed at group level shapesheet, gets modified to such that "HideText" becomes "Sheet.xyz!HideText".  The xyz would be the ID number of the list shape. 

Note, a text shape / box is just a regular shape with no lines or with lines hidden.  In geometry section, there is option to hide lines in upper banner of the section.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

grumpyguy6

Quote from: wapperdude on January 15, 2019, 04:28:25 PM
I can think of two ways to do this...
1) using layers
2) using a grouped shape

First approach is nice in that the list shape can be placed easily, independently of the reference shape.  But, it does mean a layer for each list shape.  Certainly doable. 

Second approach creates a "hard" link between ref and list shapes...which gets severed if ungrouped. But, very easy to copy paste on same or different pages.  The dbl click formula above, placed at group level shapesheet, gets modified to such that "HideText" becomes "Sheet.xyz!HideText".  The xyz would be the ID number of the list shape. 

Note, a text shape / box is just a regular shape with no lines or with lines hidden.  In geometry section, there is option to hide lines in upper banner of the section.

Wapperdude
Great! I like option 1, I can live with having to make multiple layers. I know how to add a shape to a layer, so all I need to do is put the following into the Event DblClick cell:  =SETF(GetRef(HideText),NOT(HideText))?

grumpyguy6

OK, I put "=SETF(GetRef(HideText),NOT(HideText))" into the double click event, however it just hides the text in the existing column. I'm trying to set it up so that clicking on the shape will open up a separate box. Did I misunderstand something?

wapperdude

To your previous question...yes, you missed something...you didn't modify the formula, as previously indicated, to point g o the list shape.  Right now, it just points to the shape containing it.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

See attached.

Since this is simplist scenario, just using a hard-coded syntax, there is no need for layers or groups.

Visio 2019 Pro

grumpyguy6

Quote from: wapperdude on January 15, 2019, 05:47:35 PM
See attached.

Since this is simplist scenario, just using a hard-coded syntax, there is no need for layers or groups.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the best!