New Control w/ line

Started by troyc, December 05, 2018, 06:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troyc

I have a shape/stencil I <happen> to call "Cool Cloud".  This shape has 8 controls, which have lines attached to them.

When I edit the shapesheet, and add an additional row, the new control (control 9) works...however there is no line attached to said control.
Looking through the shapesheet, I don't see any reference to having a line visible. 

What am I missing?  I've done something very similar with an a different shape (large ethernet), and that worked fine.
Shapes are attached (both cool cloud & large ethernet)

Thanks in advance,
TroyC

vojo

where are the geometry sections in the shape sheet?
(if none, is this shape a group shape with some controls and there are 8 child shapes in the group?)

Select one of the lines and open its shapesheet.

If so, you need to add a ninth child shape
- if a line (simple: any line...complex: copy / paste 1 of the 8)
- Go into development mode
- for groups shape, behavior and select "accept shapes on drop"
- for this new 9th shape, behavior and select "Add shape to group on drop"
- take ninth line move until you see heavy black with slanted lines...its now part of the group
- adjust the ninth line (start/stop, format, etc)
- edit the group for its behaviors / edit ninth line for its behaviors

troyc

First -- thanks for the reply/insight.
Second -- should have thought about grouping;  The cloud object turns out to be a group.  So if I "ungroup" it, I get 5 sub-shapes (4 clouds, what appears to be crosshatched lines -- but is actually 8 lines of geometry making that shape)

So I can add a 9th (and 10th/11th/etc) geometry.

What I now can't figure out is how the __control of the grouped-shape__  relates to the 8line (now 9line) of the geometry sub shape.
The new master group now loses its "Controls" section.  So I add it, and Create the first Controls.Row_(1-9) with identical entries as the previous shape.  The controls are there, but they do not move the actual lines-- that is they are not "attached" to the lines, and only the control moves.

I also lose the CONTROLS section when simply re-grouping... I've re-created the missing sections in each case.

Thoughts?

vojo

RE regrouping:  That is why changing the behaviors so that you can add shapes to existing group shape

RE control: controls are one of the few cells that don't depend on shape context (width, height, etc).
                 so set the controls at group level
                 each subshape can directly reference the group controls

FYI:   With original group, you can set to look at a given child
         Behavior ==> bottom right.  Set to "show group first"....so when selected, group is selected
         click again, you select one of the child shapes and then look its shape sheet.   Can see how controls
         done, etc.

wapperdude

The Drawing Explorer window is your friend, become familiar with it.

In the case of your cloud shape, it is indeed grouped.  So, don't ungroup it.  Only unfortunate things will happen.  All of the controls are at the top level shape.  If you open the shapesheet, activate the formula tracing function, then click on one of the control points.  For the formula tracing, choose Dependents, that is, items that depend upon the selected cell.  So, if you click on a control point, it will show that an item in sheet.2 is dependent upon the control point.  Well, as the control points move the line shapes, that must be where the line is.  Open the shapesheet for sheet.2.  You will find 8 geometry sections, one for each line.  This will be where you add lines...each needing it's own geometry section.  So, add geometry sections as needed.  Mimic the existing sections.  Now go to the toplevel shapesheet.  Add your control point, and then add formula similar to existing control points, but now for the new geometry section.

That should do it.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

troyc

WapperDude and Vojo,

Many thanks!!! I appreciate your assistance.  It took me a bit, because the sheet values for the geometry were showing, not the formula used. Took me a bit to try 2x clicking;  2x Clicking on the sheet2.geometry entry of MoveTo X/Y showed the cross-reference to the sheet1.control and I was successfully able to add 9th control with line, etc.

Again, Many many thanks!

TroyC