Nearestpoint Error

Started by wapperdude, December 08, 2018, 02:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

The Nearestpointonpath is a really cool feature.  But, it has a bug.  See attached.

Basically, if your Geometry section has the NoFill set to false, and the nearest point is on the inside of the curve, it gets confused by fill.  Naughty.  Naughty.

Note, the GUI (aka ribbon) Fill = No Fill does not affect the Geometry NoFill cell...which is normal behavior.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

I am shocked that the geniuses at MS would have made such a blunder ;-)

wapperdude

@VOJO:   ;D. ...No you're not!  LOL  ;)

After looking more closely, if the shape.nofill= false, then the "imaginary" line running between the begin and end points is part of the "path" as far as the nearestpointonpath fcn is concerned.

Ordinarily, not an issue.   But, if you have multiple geometry section, and you want some sections to have arrowheads, and others not, the NoFill is a way to control this.  But now, this looks like having to go to shape grouping to do the discretionary arrow head visibility.
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

FWIW if a shape has 2 or more geometries that overlap with each having fill=false, the overlapped region will not fill.  It almost looks like some sort of Boolean function deep in the visio engine.
Lines don't seem affected (cross lines in 2 geometries both are shown).
Again, FWIW

Visio Guy

There was a time when the LengthIU function would fail for "NoFill" geometry sections. Sounds like it might be related.

I should track down this bug and report it to MS...
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010