Where's the Exit sign?

Started by wapperdude, December 07, 2018, 04:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

Sooooo, may be I'm old fashioned, but, I would have expected that an Exit Visio command would have been part of the File tab.  Am I missing something.  There's the little "X" in the upper right corner of the Visio window that works.  And, of course, there is the required ribbon customization, part of which should be the convenient NEW, OPEN, SAVE, SAVE AS, and EXIT options.

Really???  No EXIT!!!

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

In Visio 2016 on the File ribbon there is a "Close". And right-clicking on the Visio icon on the taskbar offers a "Close window".

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Hey Ken

My Visio 2013 has File/Close as well.  But WHY on Earth would you want to use it??  It's two clicks (not to mention having to move the mouse around twice) versus one click for the proverbial "X" (and only hunting for it once).  What's it save you, using that X; a second or two?  Do the math: Guesstimate of a million copies of Visio X 2 seconds for each exit instead of 1, exiting, say, 5 times a day, and that comes out to almost two months of lost productivity worldwide every single day!

Gimme the X any day.

- Lazy Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

Visio Guy

Keyboard shortcuts? You get a "clear" menu path (something F something X?) for those who cant do Alt F4...

My theory, anyway.

Maybe an accessibility thing too.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

Yeah, yeah.  V2019 has "close" also.  And that's handy if you want to stay in Visio and work on another file.  But that's not the same as exiting.

Yes, I have customized the ribbon such that typical file operations, including exit, are HeyKen approved, single action steps.

Nonetheless, on a large screen, even a two step File>Exit, can be easier & quicker than travelling cross-country to the little "X" marks the spot.

I just don't get not having EXIT listed in the File tab.  The brilliance of that decision escapes me.  But, I'm good with the customization.  Was afraid I had missed something.  Apparently not.

Cheers.
Visio 2019 Pro

AJD

Quote from: Hey Ken on December 07, 2018, 06:36:54 PM
   My Visio 2013 has File/Close as well.  But WHY on Earth would you want to use it??  It's two clicks (not to mention having to move the mouse around twice) versus one click for the proverbial "X" (and only hunting for it once).  What's it save you, using that X; a second or two?  Do the math: Guesstimate of a million copies of Visio X 2 seconds for each exit instead of 1, exiting, say, 5 times a day, and that comes out to almost two months of lost productivity worldwide every single day!

Gimme the X any day.

- Lazy Ken

Or, you do like I do for all my MS applications, and put the "Close" on the Quick Menu at the top left.  "Save", "Undo", "Redo", "Print Preview", "Save As ..." and "Close" are my standard goto functions - but you may have a different set. Then it is only one click.

Yes, I am lazy too.

Hey Ken

Folks:

So here it is, between the holidays and things are very quiet here at work.  So I thought I'd take a minute to address a few loose ends...

AJD:

Good idea, using the Quick Menu.  I use it for so many things that I've forgotten how to reach too many features manually.  (And finding stuff in Excel is even worse!)  Not meaning to quibble, but isn't it about the same amount of effort to access the Quick Menu as it is to hit the big X at the top right?  At least it's not on that pesky ribbon that eats up precious real estate.  And speaking of which...

Wapperdude:

Again not meaning to quibble, and sorry to have to tell you this, but nothing ribbon-related is HeyKen approved.  Hate the thing, and almost always keep it closed, so if I wanted to access something on it I'd have to open it up first, access what I need, then maybe close it afterwards depending on what I've done.  Far too many actions.  I'm with Chris on this: Keyboard shortcuts rule!  As I've mentioned before, the last thing I ever want to do is lift my hands off the keyboard and grab that mouse. 

Having said that, I just realized something directly related to this thread.  Even though my Visio Professional 2013 does not have a File/Exit option explicitly listed, alt-F/X still works!  As does alt-F/C.  The first closes all open files; the second, only the one you're looking at.  Never stopped to think how I use it all the time.  File/Exit is explicitly listed in my Visio 2003, and (of course) it works there.  Does it still work in other versions of Visio, I wonder? 

So there ya go: I learned something new that I always knew, but didn't know I knew.  News to me.

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

wapperdude

LOL. 

Some shortcuts are helpful.  Too many cause overload and my memory searching algorithm is very buggy.  The Quick (instant) Menu provides the access methodology that works well for me.  My most common operations are logically arranged and just a single mouse click away.  Works better than mis-aligning my hands on the keyboard.

But, the ribbon, in principle, is OK, just very poorly thought out / executed.  (Note, this was my main reason for staying with V2007.)  The ribbon reminds me of digital sound boards.  Tons and tons of features.  It would be cost prohibitive to do same functionality with analog board plus off-board equipment.  But that's also a problem.  Everything gets layered in menus and submenus.  For a novice / part-time operator it's overwhelming.  AND.... drum-roll ... no short-cut keys.  Well, maybe a few, hard-wired quick access buttons, that's it though.  So, solution...???  Maybe multiple displays, with touch screens. 
Visio 2019 Pro