Author Topic: Where's the Exit sign?  (Read 68 times)

wapperdude

• Global Moderator
  • Ideas Visio-lized into solutions
Where's the Exit sign?
« on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:10 AM »
Sooooo, may be I'm old fashioned, but, I would have expected that an Exit Visio command would have been part of the File tab.  Am I missing something.  There's the little "X" in the upper right corner of the Visio window that works.  And, of course, there is the required ribbon customization, part of which should be the convenient NEW, OPEN, SAVE, SAVE AS, and EXIT options.

Really???  No EXIT!!!

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

• Global Moderator
    • Paul Herber's website
Re: Where's the Exit sign?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 12:13:49 PM »
In Visio 2016 on the File ribbon there is a "Close". And right-clicking on the Visio icon on the taskbar offers a "Close window".

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils and applications for Visio -

http://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Hey Ken

• Just This Guy
    • Ken Krawchuk, Libertarian for Pennsylvania Governor
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 01:36:54 PM »
   My Visio 2013 has File/Close as well.  But WHY on Earth would you want to use it??  It’s two clicks (not to mention having to move the mouse around twice) versus one click for the proverbial “X” (and only hunting for it once).  What’s it save you, using that X; a second or two?  Do the math: Guesstimate of a million copies of Visio X 2 seconds for each exit instead of 1, exiting, say, 5 times a day, and that comes out to almost two months of lost productivity worldwide every single day!

Gimme the X any day.

- Lazy Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Libertarian for Pennsylvania Governor (retired)
KenK4Pa.com

Visio Guy

• Administrator
  • Smart Graphics for Visual People...n' Stuff
    • Visio Guy
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2018, 02:22:13 PM »
Keyboard shortcuts? You get a "clear" menu path (something F something X?) for those who cant do Alt F4...

My theory, anyway.

Maybe an accessibility thing too.
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

• Global Moderator
  • Ideas Visio-lized into solutions
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
Yeah, yeah.  V2019 has "close" also.  And that's handy if you want to stay in Visio and work on another file.  But that's not the same as exiting.

Yes, I have customized the ribbon such that typical file operations, including exit, are HeyKen approved, single action steps.

Nonetheless, on a large screen, even a two step File>Exit, can be easier & quicker than travelling cross-country to the little "X" marks the spot.

I just don't get not having EXIT listed in the File tab.  The brilliance of that decision escapes me.  But, I'm good with the customization.  Was afraid I had missed something.  Apparently not.

Cheers.
Visio 2019 Pro

AJD

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2018, 04:40:25 PM »
   My Visio 2013 has File/Close as well.  But WHY on Earth would you want to use it??  It’s two clicks (not to mention having to move the mouse around twice) versus one click for the proverbial “X” (and only hunting for it once).  What’s it save you, using that X; a second or two?  Do the math: Guesstimate of a million copies of Visio X 2 seconds for each exit instead of 1, exiting, say, 5 times a day, and that comes out to almost two months of lost productivity worldwide every single day!

Gimme the X any day.

- Lazy Ken

Or, you do like I do for all my MS applications, and put the "Close" on the Quick Menu at the top left.  "Save", "Undo", "Redo", "Print Preview", "Save As ..." and "Close" are my standard goto functions - but you may have a different set. Then it is only one click.

Yes, I am lazy too.