Editing a shape for added data

Started by kittmaster, November 21, 2018, 04:21:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kittmaster

I am using a shape that is from Visio 2016 Professional. It has 4 fields, I need it to have 5. The shape has the yellow "resize" handles, I can't figure out how to add a rectangle and the handle to it.

I saved it as a "new stencil" and I can "edit master shape" but when I get there, I can't see how to "add" the extra rectangle or how to bind them together so they resize like the original version that works correctly.

Anyone ever done this, not much help in Google as far as I can tell.

TIA

Chris

Paul Herber

It's a very complicated shape, not complicated because it contains many shapes, in fact it is just 1 shape, but because of the way that the various elements of the shape are calculated to create 4 text fields with dividing lines controlled by the 3 handles.
Unless there is some very special reason to try edit this shape it would be far easier to create your own version by joing together a few of the Section Header shapes to make something suitable ...
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

kittmaster

The more I looked at it, the more I tend to agree. Is there a basic tutorial on how to do that somewhere? I really only use Visio for basic flow charting etc. I've been tasked with wire diagrams and now need this "type" of functionality to allow a dynamic table and columns etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Paul Herber

Here's a quick and dirty shape you can use ... it's 5 shapes with their coordinates linked left to right, each section can be renamed and resized and the whole thing can be resized.
HTH.
There no such thing as a tutorial for this sort of shape, it's just joining together many different Visio shape techniques.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

kittmaster

Hi Paul,

This is exactly what I was looking to do.

So I looked at it from the stencil / developer tab, the question is, how would I go about adding a 6th tab if needed ( I don't )? I would like to understand the method of how it is done so I could make changes going forward.

I was able to delete 2 and resize the page, that part I understand.

What I don't understand, is how do you "add" another rectangle and bind them together to do what it is doing.....i.e. if I wanted to make it a 6/7/8/9/10 column shape.

I'm an EE, so I can follow procedure, just looking to broaden my horizons, thanks again for this.

Chris