How do I plot this shape - circle with shaded sectors

Started by sorova, November 10, 2018, 03:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sorova

I have Visio 2016.
http://www.mcmanis.com/chuck/robotics/projects/encoders/enc_quad.htm

I tried three circles and sectors but couldn't shade individual sectors - it just shaded teh whole thing. Then I though can I make a line of boxes black and white and then bend them into a circle after grouping?

Thanks

Yacine

Yacine

sorova

Fantastic. Thank you. A few questions. Where do I find Join? I have group, is that the same as Join? I can snap them together - maybe that is what you mean.

One  other thing. In my other computer to copy shortcut  I hold down control and click. Doesn't work on this one. Is there a setting or something?

Thank you

JuneTheSecond

Look at the Yacine's pic. COMMANDS.png.
The top menu DEVELOPER opens the menu.
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

sorova

Like all Microsoft rubbish the menus are different! I can get it eventually though. Even fragment wasnt there - had to add it and mess around. Seems ribbons are not standard.

Yacine

I undestand that M$ is evil just because they are so big, but calling Visio rubbish, despite all its deficiencies, is not fair. It is a great program with no equivalent on the market. ;)
Yacine

sorova

Yes, your statement says a lot about the sad state of graphic programs. Over 20 years ago - in fact around the early 1990s we used a desktop publisher called Interleaf. It had equations and graphics - easily as good as Visio back then. Worked on Sun and Apollo workstations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interleaf

Honestly, I am still waiting for Microsoft to catch up on every level. Just junk but as you say, best there is to choose from. What about Adobe illustrator - never used that, isn't that better? What I mean is you woudl think at the very least they could keep the ribbons standard as it makes forums like this very difficult to follow. for instance, I didn't have Fragment at all! I had to search and add it in. Pretty basic I would think if you are selling software.

Yacine

Graphic wise there are plenty other programs doing a better job than Visio (commercial: Illustrator, free: inkscape to name only 2).
The power of Visio is its open underlaying shapesheet concept. It makes it a graphical excel.
Yacine

wapperdude

Whoa!  Your comparing Visio to software on what was heavy duty, very expensive workstations?  Wow.  I worked for an aerospace company that used both Apollos and Sun workstations.  The cost was prohibitive!  The marketplace sets the target. 

Workstations never targeted the public sector.  Hence the PC.  Cost of machine and software were (are) very big factors.  In the Visio marketplace, I don't think there's an alternative that is as robust, versatile, and matches up to Visio.  I've tried various alternatives...they stink.  Yes.  There are better graphic design programs.  Yes, there are better photo editing programs.  Yes, there are better schematic capture programs.  And, no, none are as versatile as Visio.  It comes down to what is your priority.

Visio isn't perfect.  It isn't bug free.  I hate the ribbon.  But, the underlying product is excellent.  So, shoot away at M$, but, Visio is a great product.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

sorova

I think you're being over generous. The comparison was for a product over 25 years ago and PCs caught up in speed by about the year 2000 or so but the software lagged behind. I will admit not just for Microsoft but often the stuff wheeled out for Joe Public was rubbish in comparison to what was achievable and still is. I looked at Adobe and their product does seem much more slick and professional.
On the other hand Microsoft have done a lot for programmers in my opinion with their .net system. Their visual approach was a step forward. Many other things let them down. No Visio isn't THAT bad, I use it a lot, but they need to look after the customer. There has been a bug in it now for as many years as I can remember and they haven't fixed it.

http://dessci.com/en/support/mathtype/tsn/tsn160.htm

They could at least fix things like this.