Glue / Snap Interval between Milestones

Started by FlowerGirl, October 22, 2018, 01:56:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlowerGirl

Folks,
       Is there a way that the Span Calculator I have in my example would be able to Glue / Snap to (Between) any two Timeline Milestone shapes when it is dropped on the Page/Timeline?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

FG  :-*

wapperdude

Well, that would be nice.  But I think not.  There are several issues...
1)  there is so much underlying code that the time line components are very difficult to change.  Most changes get clobbered by the code.
2) All date/time info, is contained in the timeline itself.  So, all milestones, etc., need to access the timeline.  Gluing to span calculator to a milestone creates an extra layer which must be traversed to obtain the timing info.  So, the span calculator would have to be altered to read the milestone rather than the timeline.
3) it would take more code to get the span calculator to determine which milestones are to its immediate left/right.

Those are the most obvious problems that would need to be solved.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Thank you Wayne for making the first step.
I spent over 2 hours today on this topic and left without success.
My approach was to take the original shape,
- strip it from all its subshapes, but keep the automation,
- add a sub-shape with the desired functionality.

I gave up when I realised that I could not modify the geometry of the main shape without altering the automation.

... definitely not a trivial task.

I'm not saying it is not feasible, ... but difficult!
Yacine

FlowerGirl

Thanks for your time and attention on this topic.

What I generally do as a work around is: in my source dataset I make sure I have a "Start" and a "Finish" date that would correspond to Start being the milestone on the left, and Finish being the Milestone on the right.
But, In Access or Excel that in itself is a headache depending on the data constraints.
(That way when I drop it on the timeline, it will snap into position without manually maneuvering the ends.)

Again, thanks for your time.
FG  :-* :-*