Visio Radial Grid v2

Started by Visio Guy, October 05, 2018, 12:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Visio Guy

Nerd alert! I couldn't resist adding features!

Now you can

• Turn the grid into a Container
  • Specify the radial line progression as clockwise or counterclockwise
  • Graphically set the starting angle for the radial lines
  • See where control handles are, even when the shape is not selected
  • Get all the current status/information on mouse hover

Visio Radial Grid v2
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

Brings a couple of quotes to mind..

Yeah,Baby!

It ain't over till it's over (1973, Yogi Berra)

...and for all of the V2007 holdouts...
Containers?  We don't need no stinkin' containers!  😱  >: :D  ;)

...and from the deep, dark depths of the developer's pit...
Lemme outta here!  Lemme outta here!

For the inquiring minds, take a look at the shapesheet.  This grid shape took a lot of thought and effort.  Phew!

Wapperdude
Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

I have a tool that reorders user-cells, which makes it easier :)
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com

wapperdude

That would be a very useful tool!!!
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Quote from: wapperdude on October 05, 2018, 03:27:06 PM
That would be a very useful tool!!!
C'mon Wayne, only 2 days ago, I wrote about a tool exporting and reimporting the whole shapesheet to and from Excel and you meant having no use for it.
Now you think that a rows re-ordering tool would be useful? (with 4 exclamation marks) :D 8) 
Yacine

wapperdude

Let me do the math....don't help...today is...is the 5th.  Ok.  5 - 2 is 3!!!   So, need to go back to the 3rd.  Excuse me while I check for Yacine posts on the 3rd.   (Muttering,  would've been much easier if a link was provided...) 

Hmmm.  There's Working with Visio as a Geek....thought that was great avenue, but, not free, learning curve, and no mention of Excel.  So, that can't be the riiight ...wait, that's all!?!   :o. Hmmm.  Gotta be wrong post...but it's 2 days ago.

Hey, change those explanation !!!! to ????.  The Monty (Pie-thon) thing requires time and money, and training.  I can do Excel.  I can't resort my shapesheet...something that would be handy to do.  Sorry, don't see any contradictions.   What you talkin' 'bout?

So, help me out here.   :-\ ???

Cheers.
Wapperdude.  ;D ;D ;D
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

hey...I would settle for a version of visio better than its predecessor version  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Yacine

Quote from: wapperdude on October 05, 2018, 11:16:42 PMThe Monty (Pie-thon) thing requires time and money, and training.

Hi Wapperdude,
The Monty Piethon thing is opensource so it doesn't cost you money,
   it requires time (sure, but that's nothing we geeks lack),
      training - well I think training is learning and learning is good.

Cheers,Y.
Yacine

Yacine

Quote from: vojo on October 06, 2018, 04:59:12 AM
hey...I would settle for a version of visio better than its predecessor version

... only 2003 to 2007 was a step forward.
Yacine

vojo

Well, you picked at that scab, so here it goes:   Pretty hard to believe (2007 better than 2003) since 2003 is better than 2013.
To paraphrase Aahnold
- transparency in a subshape affects entire group shape...2003 "don't do dhat"
- developer tab disappears regularly...2003 "don't do dhat"
- props via docmd(1312) don't work at top level ==> have to use props window instead of drop down....2003 "don't do that"
- xml bloat...2003 "don't do that"
- settings require a template creation / cant pin to base instance of visio....2003 "don't do dhat"
- total kludge RE 3D...June proved 2003 "don't do dhat"  (1 freakin' guy vs 100s to 1000s of minions..really!!!!)
  (BTW, one could right a book about the kludge called "the fiasco called visio 3D and its associated effects I mean artifacts")
- file closure hangs occasionally (so far no lost data)...2003 "don't do dhat"

You guys think I got a shot at being the poster boy for visio 2019? I really want know!!   ;-)

wapperdude

QuoteYou guys think I got a shot at being the poster boy for visio 2019? I really want know!!

...oh, you don' wanna do dhat!   😱  Tell it like it is dude!!!  😀 😉  But, if it did happen, you'd probably have to sign an agreement to disavow all support of V2003.   Not worth it, me thinks.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

Good news, the bug in the shape has been fixed! You don't have to resize instances of the master to get the radial lines to properly function with the slider controls.

Note: Visio still has a bug with IF statements that point to user-defined expressions that involve the EVALCELL and ARGS functions, but a workaround was concocted, so that the shape works without any user-tweaking.

Thanks to JohnGoldsmith and wapperdude for digging into the problem and looking for workarounds. Both of them did great detective work, and wapperdude confirmed that the bug has been around for a LONG time....because...he's still using Visio 1875 or something--ok, he's on .VSD at any rate :) :)

wapperdude

Visio goes back to 1875??? 😵 Didn't know that.  😕  Unlikely I'd have used it then, being only 3 years old, and not a child prodigy!!!😱 😉 😁

Besides, vsd is so much shorter than vsdx.  I save much time.   :o ::)

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro