Change Scale but maintain aspect

Started by ecoops, October 04, 2018, 11:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ecoops

I opened a pdf of a floor plan I have in Visio 2016 and then proceeded to trace over the walls in the pdf image. I now have the layout in Visio so I can work on my furniture floorplan but I don't know how to change the drawing to get the proper dimensions. If I select all and try to scale the drawing, many of the walls get skewed.

I know the actual dimensions of a few of the walls, so if there is a way to scale to a certain measurement and maintain the proper aspect ratio of the current drawing, I think everything else would fall into place. Unfortunately, this is not a simple rectangular room. There are a bunch of small nooks and crannies in the room that make it difficult to draw from scratch.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

wapperdude

Have you tried changing the page scale factor? 

Selecting all, preserving aspect ratio, and then stretching or shrinking is not the same as changing page scale factor.  Stretching does weird things at times, especially to curved shapes and walls with thicknesses.  Page scaling is like applying magnifying glass.  Things get bigger/smaller, but nothing moves.  Everything preserves its relative sizing...well, text is a different story.

Change the drawing scale:
  Display the page for which you want to change the drawing scale. ...
  First locate the page tab of the page you want to change. ...
  Right-click the page tab, click Page Setup, and then click the Drawing Scale tab.

You may have to tweak the setting to get the length you need for a known wall size.

If you plan to do this again in the future,  the steps you can take would be:
1) set the page scale to a nice, convenient value.
2) drop your picture on the page.  (Note, this should be a background page, to make tracing easy.)
3) lock the aspect ratio of the pic.  Re-size until dimensionality is correct, e.g., an 8ft wall is actually 8ft.

>> for convenience, you can add two connection pts to the pic, placing them at a known distance apart...say at ends of a wall. Then place a dimension shape, gluing it to the connection points.  As you resize the pic, the dimension shape will let you know when the separation is correct, and thus, the overall drawing is the correct size.

4) go to drawing page.  Set same scale factor.  Enable viewing for background page.
5) Trace the pic.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Quote from: ecoops on October 04, 2018, 11:51:05 PMIf I select all and try to scale the drawing, many of the walls get skewed.
Before resize floor plan you must disable automation events!
File -> Settings -> Advanced -> Enable automation events

After resize enable these events again!
Be aware, deselect all shapes before disable automation events
Short video about this

(Sorry for my poor English!)

Eslinger

Quote from: ecoops on October 04, 2018, 11:51:05 PM
I enjoy using NordVPN and opened a pdf of a floor plan I have in Visio 2016 and then proceeded to trace over the walls in the pdf image. I now have the layout in Visio so I can work on my furniture floorplan but I don't know how to change the drawing to get the proper dimensions. If I select all and try to scale the drawing, many of the walls get skewed.

Hi Surrogate, why is it important to disable automation events at that point? Newbie here and I'm just curious. Cheers.

Surrogate

Quote from: Eslinger on October 06, 2018, 10:49:16 AM
Hi Surrogate, why is it important to disable automation events at that point? Newbie here and I'm just curious. Cheers.
Did you see my video in previous post ?
From 38 seconds you can see that at first there was no skewing of walls, then the computer is a little hung (started execution of automation events) and after a few seconds the walls got skewed!