Fundraising to get a proper visio version to Wapperdude

Started by Yacine, April 02, 2017, 01:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yacine

I got tired of translating for Wapperdude vsdx files in vsd.
I understand that as retiree he doesn't want to invest in a new Visio version ... and may be the price isn't the only reason.

I have myself looked for a cheap way to get a new version of Visio before my employer got me one. Six months later, I still regret having switched to 2013. As Paul stated some while ago, 2007 was the best version of Visio ever.

The difference between me and Wapperdude: I really need to work with it, whilst - just guessing - Wapperdude is mainly using it for the forum.

So, my idea - hopefully W. wouldn't consider it too pushy - is to raise together the amount necessary for getting him the latest version of Visio.

Considering the amount of his contributions in the forum, not a very high price.

I would start with 20EUR. Don't know however how to do it. Chris' donation page? But it lacks a purpose field.
Yacine

Paul Herber

I wouldn't impose Visio 2010/2013/2016 on anybody. Visio 2007 was most certainly the best version.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

:D:D:D

Never thought I'd be the direct subject of a post!!!    :o

Well, Yacine, you're correct.  I'm retired, so 80 - 90% of Visio usage is the forum.  The rest is for pleasure or incidental documentation for hobbies, volunteer work, etc.  V2007 meets virtually all of my needs except for the increased frequency of questions by the "modern" users.  I'd say about 50% of those are general enough to be answerable via V2007 feature set...other than VSDX vs VSD file issues.  For those, I'd expect the original poster to re-format the upload. 

Yes, cost is a consideration.  But, before retirement, my company upgraded to V2010.  I learned very quickly to hate concept of the ribbon....well, as M$ implemented it.  It does exactly opposite of it's proposed purpose...The work flow became more complex, less efficient, and with it, each release has become increasingly buggy.  Visio has become full of fluff, but lacks the stuff.  I expect market share to dwindle as competitors get increasingly cohesive packages to market. 

I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, so to speak, but with Visio, I'd probably make an exception.  Besides, there are very knowledgeable contributors to the forum who easily field the issues raised on the forum. 

Thanks for the thought and offer...just means you, Paul, Nikolay, Surrogate, Vojo, and...and...and... will have to answer more questions!   ::)   ;)

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

Quote from: wapperdude on April 02, 2017, 11:20:51 PMThanks for the thought and offer...just means you, Paul, Nikolay, Surrogate, Vojo, and...and...and... will have to answer more questions!   ::)   ;)
M$FT Gave me an annual subscription Office 365 Enterprise E3 for 25 users. But i don't use it! I don't know how manage users for this subscription :(

Yacine

The upcoming rejection from Wapperdude to Surrogate's offer MUST be sent to M$ ... as statement from the community. :D ;) ;)
Yacine

wapperdude

Ah yes!  The entire vision/future for Visio uses my opinion as the cornerstone.  It's a well kept secret that has escaped the bag, along with the cat.   :-[   :o
Visio 2019 Pro

Probert

Quote from: Paul Herber on April 02, 2017, 04:59:07 PM
Ah yes!  The entire vision/future for Visio uses my opinion as the cornerstone.  It's a well kept secret that has escaped the bag, along with the cat.   :-[   :o

Hi Paul, why is that so? What did they 'screw up' in later versions of Visio?

Paul Herber

For me it is primarily the ribbon. There are also the various actions that can no longer be performed without editing the toolbars. General dumbing down as well.
I do need to start looking at getting Visio 2016 though, I think. I suspect some of my shapes my no longer be working 100% with the newer Visio versions.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Yacine

Whaaaaat? Why? How?
    ... finally   

... Halleluja!  ;D 
Yacine

wapperdude

I won the lottery.  Oh wait, I've never purchased a lottery ticket.  Oh Kayeee...I got an irresistible deal.  Wait.  Only death and taxes are irresistible and inevitable.   ???  It's that time of year... Christmas!!!  Yep.  Received an early present....Bill Gates heard of my invaluable contributions to Visio development and presented latest product to me.  Only a third of that is true.  For the record, Bill doesn't even know me. 

Oh dear me.  There goes the "VSD" excuse.  What???  The object model has many new features?!?   :o.  Oh dear me!
Visio 2019 Pro

Visio Guy

The funny thing here: I wasn't aware of this thread. This is the first time I've seen it!
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010