Where does group text go when group is disbanded?

Started by Jennifer, August 29, 2018, 08:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I have an odd situation. In the attached document, I created a group with 3 objects, then I put some text in the text box. Some time later, I un-grouped the group, but the text remained. It is not attached to any of the three objects. If I click on it, it appears to be assigned to a ghost of the group. What the heck is going on?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Quotethen I put some text in the text box
What does that mean???   You can click the group and add text, or you created a "text box" and entered text?

If you open drawing explorer, in my downloaded file, your group shows up as Sheet.14.  This contains 4 shapes, not 3.  Sheets 11, 12, & 13 are your 2D shapes.  The 4th is sheet.10, and that is your textbox.  It is not group text.

But had you selected the group and entered text, then ungrouped, the text would get a shape definition, in this case, sheet.14.  The page no longer shows a group, but does have 5 shapes.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Jennifer

Quote from: wapperdude on August 29, 2018, 09:45:07 PM
Quotethen I put some text in the text box
What does that mean???   You can click the group and add text, or you created a "text box" and entered text?
I selected the group and then either used F2 or the Text Tool, which opened up a text box (field?) into which I entered the text. I assumed that the text was attached to the group and would go away when the group went away.

QuoteIf you open drawing explorer, in my downloaded file, your group shows up as Sheet.14.  This contains 4 shapes, not 3.  Sheets 11, 12, & 13 are your 2D shapes.  The 4th is sheet.10, and that is your textbox.  It is not group text.

But had you selected the group and entered text, then ungrouped, the text would get a shape definition, in this case, sheet.14.  The page no longer shows a group, but does have 5 shapes.
So text associated with a group does not go away when the group is disbanded? I never noticed that before and I consider it odd.

I just tried it again several ways. Each time I ungroup, the text then becomes its own shape. Weird. What possible benefit can this have?

RudySchneider

I think you may be looking at this circumstance a bit backwards.  Obviously, the original "benefit" is that Visio allows you to arrange text within the group, and to allow that text to maintain that relationship if and when you move the group.  Would you expect any of the content or format of any of the other members of the group to change or obliterate after ungrouping?

BTW, note that, after ungrouping, the border for the text is the same size as the original group.  Visio did that for you automatically.
There are no problems, only opportunities

Jennifer

Quote from: RudySchneider on August 29, 2018, 11:51:40 PM
I think you may be looking at this circumstance a bit backwards.
It wouldn't be the first time.
QuoteObviously, the original "benefit" is that Visio allows you to arrange text within the group, and to allow that text to maintain that relationship if and when you move the group.
Yes, but I am asking about the benefit after the group no longer exists.
QuoteWould you expect any of the content or format of any of the other members of the group to change or obliterate after ungrouping?
Of course not, but then those components existed before the group did and have individual identities independent of the group. The text associated with the group only exists because the group exists, so when it goes, I would think that there would be no reason for the text to remain as part of a ghost of an empty shell of what was once a group.
QuoteBTW, note that, after ungrouping, the border for the text is the same size as the original group.  Visio did that for you automatically.
I noticed that, but to what purpose?

PS: Cool avatar from one of my favorite magazines from a very long time ago.