Autonumber shapes in flow order

Started by shlars1936, August 22, 2018, 02:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shlars1936

I've found where/how to autonumber shapes in Visio 2010, but it defaults to the order that the shapes were created. Can I get the autonumber to number them in the order of the flow?

Yacine

The ID numbers of the shapes should give an approximate correct order of creation order.
Yacine

wapperdude

To clarify, no.  The autonumber goes by shape ID of each shape.  There is no mechanism to determine placement order.  That would take code. 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

As far as I know, the "Autonumber..." function number shapes top-to-bottom, then left-to-right (if shapes have the same Y position).

What do you mean by "in order of the flow"? Your flow has no forks? Then the stock autonumbering should do just fine.
If you ensure that your shapes are REALLY at the same height (Y position), then they will be auto-numbered left-to-right.

Am I wrong?

wapperdude

My interpretation is that the flow order, e.g., left to right, could have the shapes re-arranged such that they are not in order of placement.  Plus, at least in V2007, autonumber doesn't distinguish between shape types.  So, if the drop sequence was 2D shape, 2D shape, 1D shape, 2D shape, then the autonumber of 2D shapes would have a gap.  Don't believe this behavior has been updated...could be wrong.  Nonetheless, seems like the flow order is not necessarily the drop/placement order.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

Sure... Respecting the flow order could be a nice feature for the stock reordering tool maybe.