Snapshot of current date and time

Started by Gustavo, July 31, 2018, 10:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gustavo

Hello all.

I want to write a snapshot of current date/time to a user cell (lets call it User.cell1), when a property cell (Prop.settime) has a change in its value. My approach was, in some other user cell named ( User.now=NOW() ), and in other cell using the formula:

SETF(GETREF(User.cell1),GETVAL(User.now))+dependson(Prop.settime)

but this writes the NOW() formula, instead of the time snapshot.

Please could you point me in the right direction? best regards.

Nikolay

Try changing the position of the parentheses?

SETF(GETREF(User.cell1),GETVAL(User.now)+dependson(Prop.settime))

Gustavo

That did the trick! ;D ;D Thank you Nikolay!

wapperdude

I think part of the problem with your original syntax is the GETVAL().  It's not needed.

Being bored, I took a slightly different approach and created an action entry rather than a shapedata entry.  All you do is right click shape, then just click on the "Update Time", and current time value is applied.  The formula is:  SETF(GetRef(User.MyTime),NOW())+DEPENDSON(Actions.NowTime).

This approach only requires two entries:  1) User.MyTime to hold the time value, and 2) Actions.NowTime to invoke the time updating.
See attached.

It was fun to goof around.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Gustavo

Hi Wapperdude, thank you for your insight.  :) The approach on the action cell is also valid. The purpose on my first post wasn't to make a manual update of date/time value, but instead to make a postprocessing to that value, i.e. calculate a date/time after or a date/time before to do some tasks, like in project management, and this to be triggered by the selected value of a property cell. Or maybe triggered by some external data applied to a shape, as it writes in a property cell. But you're right, working with dates and times in Visio is a lot of fun.   ;D