How Draw a ladder with custom lenght

Started by nitra_ma, August 22, 2018, 04:53:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitra_ma

Hi, I will try to explain what I need to do.  I want a shape (ex : a ladder) that can be expand (but not deform).  If I drag the lenght handle, I want to increment the lenght of the ladder always by the distance between two steps of the ladder (so never got a half of a step).   So I need a shape that will be resize by increment and  automatically had/draw ladder step if needed.
Thanks

wapperdude

It's possible to do this in the shapesheet, but a little tedious.  One restriction, as with most real ladders, you cannot use this technique to make an infinitely long ladder.

The basic concept is to draw your minimum size ladder.  This will be in Geometry1 section of shapesheet.  Then you must add a geometry section for each additional rung.  That's the tedious part.  Once these are drawn, you use the control point to show/hide each section.  So, when the control point exceeds more than 1/2 of a section, then new section is made visible.  The bound fcn could be used to make the control point increment by specific steps.  Adding the User Defined section, you could place a formula that checks the control point location and enables the desired ladder sections.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

Options a: Could look at custom fill patterns.  I believe could to the follow
- make a sample ladder
- drawing map ==> custom fill ==>create patter
- select the pattern, got to make sure so it repeats correctly...so may need 2-3 times to get it all right
- there are few fill attributes...need the one repeats...not the one that stretches to fit.
- save and name

The downside include
- cant really scale the pattern

Option B: Make a big long ladder drawing and use it
- make a big ladder full length or so.
- save it to stencil
- make a shape outlining the space you want to fill (not the real shape...a copy instead)
- pull stencil shape
- line it up on copy shape
- use fragment or line split in tools  (it will cut the big long ladder using the space)
- peel off any stragglers
- group
- overlay on real shape and group

Downside
- A bit more manual to do this...but pattern will scale with shape