Data graphics question

Started by N11284, July 05, 2018, 09:46:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N11284

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone can help me with this question.  I'm running Visio 2013 on Windows 10.

I'm trying to add a data graphic to a shape in the following way.
I have a spreadsheet that shows the status of operators training on different machines. If an operator has been trained  on a machine the cell in Excel contains "Yes" if not it contains "No".
I want to display this on a shape in my drawing. I have 8 machines and I want to find the best way of looking at a shape and seeing on which machine the operator has been trained, or or has not been trained. I'm not sure if the shape should be of the machine , or of the operator.

Any help or suggestions much appreciated.

Regards

John

AJD

Depends on the context and focus of the question.

If your focus is on the person, then the shape should be of the machine(s) associated with the person (or each person).
If your focus is on the ability to use the machines(s), then the shape should be of the people associated with each machine.

This opens up possibilities for your display. I can't open your Visio file on this machine (well, I can but it would probably display in a default browser session), but if you have people and machines on the one page, when you select a person, the relevant machines are marked/highlighted, and when you select a machine, the relevant operators are marked/highlighted.

The code to highlight/not highlight could be based on a page variable meaning that it can be coded in the shapesheet. Selecting an object is a little trickier but I am leaning towards an action (e.g right click menu item) which sets the page variable (and all the other changes). Of course, many ways to skin this cat!