Field data not updating

Started by jik_ff, May 24, 2018, 02:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jik_ff

This is kind of an odd one.  I had an existing Master Shape that had data assigned to it through external data.  The shape defined rooms in an office and stored info like Staff name, Room number, and data jack listings.  Initially, I was displaying the data jack info as a mouse over (Miscellaneous-Comments on ShapeSheet).  All was good until they asked me to make it possible to print the map with the data jack info overlayed in each room.
So I opened up the Master, added a box, created a userdefined cell and had it pull the info from the Prop of the master.  By default the value is N/A, which displays on the master.  All good.  So then I save the Master and update the shapes on the map.  The all now say N/A on them.  To check if the shape should be working, I went into the shape data of one of the shapes.  I changed the data jack info, and then it updated on the shape.  So what am I doing wrong?  It seems that I have set it up properly, why will it not update?  I have tried to refresh the data, as well and close and open the whole visio file again, still will not seem to read the info. 

jik_ff

Ok.  Poked around more with it.  Still an issue, but I noticed that when I checked the shapesheet for one of the active shapes, the User.Row_1 value was not in blue text.  The text was black.  I selected the field and hit enter (without changing anything) and the text turned blue, and the data jack values showed up on the shape.

So why is this happening?  Did I do something wrong when I added the new shape to the master?  Is there a specific process?
[EDIT]

Ok, it's working now.  Not sure why.  I opened up the Master again, deleted (cut) the value in the User define and put it back (paste) and now it's working...  there's a day wasted... :(