Curved Timelines ??

Started by FlowerGirl, May 16, 2018, 06:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlowerGirl

Is there any way a typically straight timeline can be bent or curved for custom uses ?

Or could one end of a timeline be glued at a 45 degree angle to the end of another timeline and allow a mile stone to travel from end to end ?

Thanks for any idea's you guys can offer.

FG    :-*

RichRif1

Here's one approach -> https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/visio/2010/01/15/the-point-along-path-shapesheet-functions-in-visio-2010/

EDIT - The article includes a .VSD file with an example... the link in the article is 404 but the link at the bottom of the article worked for me.

FlowerGirl

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a whirl and let you know how it turned out.

FG 

FlowerGirl

The curved timeline was nice for what it was, but I am still stuck.
What I am trying to do:
1. Bend a timeline in the middle at a 45 degree angle (so that milestones will still move along its whole length).
  or
2. Connect 2 timelines together. (so that milestones will still move along its whole connected length).

So the leading or first timeline would be basically horizontal, whit the bend or second (connected) timeline would be at a 45.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
FG.

RichRif1

Is this something that you're doing for yourself for a limited use? Or something you want to make more fool-proof for someone else to use?

If the former, I may have an approach. I'm sure something could be automated but I'm an engineer, so I'm lazy. My approach is not as elegant.

You could use two timelines (identical except one is horizontal, one is at an angle) with synchronized milestones on each timeline, and expanded timelines. The expanded timelines would be set for the date at which you want a milestone to transition from the horizontal timeline to the angled timeline (assuming that sequence of timelines); the expanded timeline for the horizontal timeline would cover the begin date of the timeline to the point of transition and the expanded timeline for the angled timeline would cover the point of transition to the end date.

You could then arrange the expanded timelines such that they appear to be continuous and perhaps on another page such that you can easily modify the original (non-expanded timelines) and have the synchronized milestones change on the expanded timelines.

Please let me know if this makes sense. If you'd like I can try to send you an example over the weekend when I have time to produce one.

Regards.

RichRif1

The attached represents the concept I described.
Regards.

FlowerGirl

Oh Poop, I should have told you I am using 2010. I would not be able to run the attachment you provided.

Thanks so much for your reply.
I really look forward to trying it out.

FG  :-* :-*

RichRif1

FlowerGirl

Thanks so much, I will check it out and let you know how it goes.

FG