Seating chart in Visio

Started by sax symbol, July 26, 2018, 11:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sax symbol

Hello! This is my first post in this forum and I am glad that I've found you. I bet most of you have forgotten more about Visio than I know now, but hopefully I'm not facing a vertical learning curve.

Here's my dilemma:  I work in an office that has many users. We have created a seating chart in Visio so that we know what desks are occupied and which are vacant, what equipment is at each desk for inventory purposes, and various information.  I've made an Access database where I have employee information; I initially used a "basket" approach (as in all eggs in one basket) to the database, but I plan to parse out the information and create relationship tables to sort out the information. I want to create a dashboard which will use buttons to pull up forms to enter or change data in the data base. I want to host it in SharePoint so that, while many users can access the information, only one or two people may actually update the database information.  I think I have a pretty good idea of how to do this, but if anyone has a pearl of wisdom they'd like to share I'd be receptive.

Now, the real problem is that there are people coming and going and people moving across the office for various reasons. Some take their equipment with them and some equipment is static. The current process is to print out the chart on a plotter, update it via cross out and write in, and at a point when there are too many cross outs only then is a new seating chart printed. 

I have read online where the shape data can be added from an Excel file and I presume that doing it from an Access table would be similar. By using fields I could create spaces for people's name but the seat numbers would need to be static and they are already so labeled on the current chart. I suppose I could parse the first letter in the name to add to the field somehow if there is more than one person with the same last name. Being linked to the database, when the person changes seats the update would be reflected on the chart. I've played with it a little bit and have gotten some shape data to appear, but not sure if I could reliably. I feel like I'm so close to putting it all together but I'd hate to start building a bridge on two banks only to find that they're a foot off when they meet in the middle, so any caveats, best practices, and just general assistance I would be very appreciative. There may already be a solution or solutions that I can piece together in this forum, but I wasn't quite sure how to phrase my search, so I wrote it out. We are using Microsoft Office 2013 products. Thanks in advance.

Yacine

Nothing wrong so far.
Do you have specific questions?
Yacine