Resizing text and line weight within an object

Started by Mike54, April 07, 2018, 08:21:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike54

I have read much on this and can change each line or text by setting a ratio to the object width but when I load an object from visio cafe by Cisco, Hp or Dell they seem to have very complicated images that when you resize them everything stays in proportion. This works till you break the group then the text or line weight doesn't resize. I don't see any formulae or VB code being set so the question I have is how do they acheive this and why don't Microsoft make it easier to do.

Nikolay

This is because CISCO, HP, and DELL figures are not really designed in Visio.
They are EMF images, just wrapped as Visio shapes. I would guess they were just exported from Autodesk or something like that.
This approach is pretty effective, if you just want a complex dumb vector image, with simple scaling.

When you "ungroup" such a shape, what really happens under the hood is,
the underlying EMF image is converted into Visio format, which is a pretty drastic change, and can have unwanted side-effects.

If you want to do it nicely, you should edit the underlying picture, without ungrouping it.
How to edit underlying EMF without converting to Visio format:

1. Open group (Group -> Open group)
2. Export the image - now you will see it clearly (copy to clipboard for example)
3. Edit the image using some VECTOR IMAGE EDITOR, that supports EMF. For example, using InkScape, or some other editor of your choice - help appreciated.
4. Import image back (or paste back). If you use InkScape, make sure make the image big enough first, you'll zoom it out back in Visio after pasting. Visio does not like tiny ones.
5. Close the group.

That should be it. After that, you can have modified image, CISCO/HP/DELL/whatever image, that behaves the same.

I believe I have seen an article about that somewhere.. If not maybe it's time to write one :)

Mike54

Saving as EMF and then reloading does exactly what I needed. I can keep a master copy as a visio diagram in case I need to change anything but use the EMF version for adding to other diagrams which might require resizing. Thanks