Get Shape properties

Started by Toxicboumboum, March 26, 2018, 02:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toxicboumboum

Hello everyone,
I'd like to know if there is a way to get the shape proprety? for exemple, is it possible to get the cost of my shape?
Like for text where I have to do: Shape.Text

Thanks for your help

Yacine

shape.cells("prop.cost").resultstr("") to read it
shape.cells("prop.cost").formulau to write it.
Yacine

dpetrov

Hi guys,

is there anyway possible I can list all the prop.* like a Key/values fashion?

I just want to see all the properties defined for a shape (considering the fact I don't know what properties could have been configured)

Hope that makes sense.

Nikolay

Yes, it does, but no, it is not possible  :)

wapperdude

???

Should be possible. Requires using code.  Select shape, select the shape section, loop thru the rows pulling out the names of the rows.
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

Let me clarify. I mean, getting property values using something like "prop.Salary" is not possible.
Getting it using the construction provided by Yacine is of course possible. Like,
shape.cells("prop.Salary").resultstr("")

wapperdude

Sorry.   :-[  Misunderstood.   :o
Visio 2019 Pro

dpetrov

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

I've actually managed to achieve this, but I am not necessarily proud of the way I've done it .. :D

In this case it will show me 3 of the properties (tbh, I have 4 but I don't quite understand how to obtain the 1st one - element 0 doesn't seem to be available?)

The function will simply return a 2  dimensional array with key/values (property label/values) which can be looped through later-on.

Here's the code .. Not terrible, not great ... ;)

Private Function ListShapeProperty(ByVal shape_ As Shape) As Variant
    Dim i As Integer
    Dim Count As Integer

On Error GoTo End_
    Debug.Print ("BEGIN")
    Dim properties(1 To 3, 1 To 2) As Variant

For i = 1 To 3

Debug.Print (i)
        Label = (shape_.CellsSRC(VisSectionIndices.visSectionProp, i, VisCellIndices.visCustPropsLabel).Formula)
        value = (shape_.CellsSRC(VisSectionIndices.visSectionProp, i, VisCellIndices.visCustPropsValue).Formula)
        properties(i, 1) = Label
        properties(i, 2) = value
        Debug.Print (Label & " " & value)
    Next i

Debug.Print ("FINISH")

End_:
    ListShapeProperty = properties

End Function

Nikolay

I would still recommend you follow Yacine proposal; don't use . Formula to get the value, it may cause troubles in case value is not a string or is a calculated value (uses fields for example)

dpetrov

But the problem is, Nikolay, that I don't know the names of the properties... So this function actually will return a 2 dimensional array with the property name & it's value. Yacine's method assumes you know the property name already (shape.cells("prop.cost").resultstr("")). Unless I totally missed the point here? :-)

wapperdude

@dpetrov:  Your code approach is basically the way to do this.

Wrt to Section rows, it's a 0-based system, not a 1-based system.
You can find the total number of rows, and then iterate from 0 to rowcount-1.  Possible code:

intRows = vsoShape.RowCount(Visio.visSectionProp)

For intCounter = 0 To intRows - 1
        Debug.Print (i)
        Label = (shape_.CellsSRC(VisSectionIndices.visSectionProp, i, VisCellIndices.visCustPropsLabel).Formula)
        value = (shape_.CellsSRC(VisSectionIndices.visSectionProp, i, VisCellIndices.visCustPropsValue).Formula)
        properties(i, 1) = Label
        properties(i, 2) = value
        Debug.Print (Label & " " & value)
Next intCounter
Visio 2019 Pro

dpetrov

Ah thanks dude!

We seem to have ended-up with a somewhat proper solution now :-) Here is what I worked out and it seems to do the job!

Private Function ListShapeProperties(ByVal shape_ As Shape)
    On Error GoTo err_

intRows = shape_.RowCount(Visio.visSectionProp)

Dim i As Integer
    Dim properties() As String
    ReDim properties(0 To intRows - 1, 1 To 2)

Debug.Print ("Property Name : Property Value")

For i = 0 To intRows - 1
        PropName = Replace((shape_.CellsSRC(VisSectionIndices.visSectionProp, i, VisCellIndices.visCustPropsLabel).ResultStr("")), Chr(34), vbNullString)
        PropValue = Replace((shape_.CellsSRC(VisSectionIndices.visSectionProp, i, VisCellIndices.visCustPropsValue).ResultStr("")), Chr(34), vbNullString)

properties(i, 1) = PropName
        properties(i, 2) = PropValue

Debug.Print (PropName & ": " & PropValue)
    Next i

err_:
    ListShapeProperties = properties

End Function

Edit: The code has been edited as per Nikolay's post.

Nikolay

let me clarify. What I meant is that you get property value like Yacine wrote. Instead of:

PropValue = shape_.CellsSRC(VisSectionIndices.visSectionProp, i, VisCellIndices.visCustPropsValue).Formula

Use:

PropValue = shape_.CellsSRC(VisSectionIndices.visSectionProp, i, VisCellIndices.visCustPropsValue).ResultStr("")

I would not recommend to use "formula" to get value of a property. Use either "ResultStr" or "Result", like Yacine suggested.

dpetrov

wapperdude

Oops.  Good catch Nikolay.  My apologies for missing that.
Visio 2019 Pro