Visio 2013 objects vs 2016

Started by ander038, March 14, 2018, 02:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ander038

Hi Folks,

I've been using Visio for a number of years to create Org charts coming from a spreadsheet with a bunch of org data in it.  In the past versions, I've built a view that drops a bunch of these items on each position with advanced data graphics.  I've used the Fields and Text boxes to place 3 of the items on each role.

In 2013, there were 5 addressable blocks to place things, and a text tab to customize each item,  In 2016, there only seem to be 2 and how to customize the text clearly isn't there any more.

I'm attaching 2 pics to show the difference.   Any thoughts on how to make 2016 work like 2013 in this case?  This is an extremely vital tool in my consulting, and the change is making it very difficult to deliver a consistent view for my clients.

I'd very much appreciate your thoughts and ideas as I've not found any help in other venues.

Gene.

Paul Herber

As I now have Visio 2016 I can help with this ...
On the Org Chart ribbon click the small arrow just under Change Position Type and the Options box will be displayed. The Fields tab will allow you to change the visible fields.
(VIsio UI designers - there is room for an Options menu - why hide it - silly.)
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

ander038

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much for the reply.  If you look at the images I uploaded, you will see that in the earlier version, there were 5 addressable blocks to put info in (and change position).  In the 2016 version, there are only 2 and there is no positional placement in this window.

That is my issue as I need the previous ability and so far haven't teased it out.

Also, additional info is the original charts were created in Visio 2010 not 2013, so the problem may be even earlier. (I ran an 2010 until I mistakenly upgraded last year.. ugh)

Gene.

Gene.

wapperdude

As I only have V2007, I can only ask question re V2016...

Have you tried using a V2016 supplied org chart shape to see if it also has the 2 field limitation?  That would tend to point the finger at either the version or perhaps something with imported shapes.  Just a thought.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

ander038

Thanks for replying.  Yes I have and it's that 2016 seeming limit of 2 fields (2013 as well I believe) that is my confuzzlement . LOL

Gene.

wapperdude

QuoteIn 2013, there were 5 addressable blocks to place things,

Yes or no???

Visio 2019 Pro

ander038

Yes I have the 2016 Org Chart templates only seem to have 2 addressable blocks.  That is my issue

wapperdude

Well, I've contributed as much as I can.

@Paul:  Hey, could you confirm whether you only see 2 fields or more?

Anyone else with V2016?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

I would guess these were removed in favor of data graphics (but yes blocks 3,4, and 5 are not there in Visio 2016)
Maybe you could use data graphics instead?

Paul Herber

It looks like the Visio 2016 shapes are very different from the Visio 2010 shapes (I don't have Visio 2013):
Visio 2010 - 5 blocks
Visio 2016 - 2 blocks
However, the Visio 2016 shapes are much more complex than the 2010 versions, 9 shapes within the group compared with 5 in Visio 2010.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

ander038

Paul, I did notice that.

Is there a way to place the shapes from each block in a specific place on the Org box?  If so, that totally both solves my problem and simplifies things immensely.

Gene.

Nikolay

It looks you already did it for 2 out of the 4 indicators.. (the green circle, and the flag) - using the data graphics?
Can't you do the just the same for the other 2 fields?

ander038

Yeah I did get the additional points to drop with a data graphic.  Placement and formatting are just not as easy (seemingly) as it was in 2010 version.

Many thanks for the assistance on this topic.  Sheese they have made it more difficult...(but I realize I'm doing some not so common use).  New question to follow in new topic now.. LOL

Gene.