How to prevent Shapes from Overlapping?

Started by wkelly24, March 06, 2018, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wkelly24

Hello,

I'm having a problem with getting Visio shapes from overlapping. To set the scene, I have a drawn set of rectangles header ovals on the page and they are locked in a specific layer. I add a basic shape, say a square to the page. If I set the Behavior of the shape as follows, the shapes will not be allowed to stay on the page because of the initial shapes. Here are the settings:

• Placement Behavior: Layout and route around
  • Move other shapes away on drop: Plow every shape
  • Do not allow other shapes to move this shape away on drop: checked

If I set this setting on two basic shapes, they will not pile up on each other (which I want), but I'm not allowed to move them on top of the rectangle columns.

Is there a way to have certain shapes to not be able to overlap while others are able to have shapes on them? Is this a setting I need in the shapesheet?

Thanks, in advance for your help.

W<

wapperdude

You don't say which version of Visio.

Also, it's not clear if your header shapes cover entire page, but it sounds like they do. What would be the intent of wanting some shapes to overlap?

Visio just has a global non-overlap rule.  But, I think the solution is to convert your Neanderthals to containers.  I believe containers work differently than shapes wrt overlapping.  Can't say for certain as I have V2007.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro