“Invalid provider type specified” when signing clickonce manifest in VS2015

Started by keokoo, March 21, 2018, 09:49:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keokoo

Hello everyone,
I build a new add-in in VS2015 and go to build directly, but received this error:
error MSB3482: An error occurred while signing: Invalid provider type specified.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit, Visio 2016 Pro 64 bit.

I think it is about signing clickonce manifest, and tried to make different certs, but still no luck.
Does anyone have the same problem and get it done?

Thanks,
Keo

Nikolay

It's not quite clear what you mean by "build". Simply build (compile), or build and then publish?

Right out of the box, compilation should just work without any certificate at all (means, when you create a new project and hit F5 in Visual Studio)
Is this the case for you? Means, if you are simply building an addin project, you don't need any certificate.
Just remove all signing from the project, VS will do it just fine.

If you want to publish the addin (by clicking "Publish...") then you need a valid SHA2 certificate (SHA1 certificates were banned last year)
Note that all certificates issued in the last 2 years, are SHA2 certificates - the authorities are not issuing SHA1 anymore.
So if you try to publish using old certificate (say, provided to you by a company), you may hit something like the error you describe.