Embedded excel file corruption inside Visio 2016 drawing:

Started by hawg78, December 19, 2017, 05:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawg78

I embed excel tables in visio 2016 as part of my visio electrical cable drawings.  The embedded excel table is created from inside visio using Insert=>Object=>Microsoft Excel Worksheet.

When my problem happens I have two files open: 1) my visio drawing file that I am building, 2) An excel file (CableInventoryListingRevC.xlsx) that I use to copy/paste data from and into the visio drawing embedded table.  My visio file format is .vsdx, and my excel file format is .xlsx.

When I click inside the embedded excel table to edit data, and then click outside the table to close sometimes I get the following error: "cannot be accessed. The file may be corrupted, located on a server that is not responding, or read-only."  Before I get this message the screen seems to re-draw several times on my screen and then stop re-drawing.

If I select the "Retry" button nothing happens and the error dialog persists.  If I click on the visio drawing I get the following error:  "This action cannot be completed because the CableInventoryListingRevC.xlsx [Repaired] -Excel program is not responding.  Choose "switch to" and correct the problem."  If I select the "Retry" button the error dialog disappears, when I click on the visio drawing the error dialog re-appears.  When I select the "Switch To" button it takes me to the other excel file I have open (CableInventoryListingRevC.xlsx) and the original error dialog "cannot be accessed. The file may be corrupted, located on a server that is not responding, or read-only."  If I select the cancel button on this error dialog the visio drawing proceeds to re-draw on my screen, the error dialogs are dismissed, and the visio drawing is ready again to proceed.  When I look to see if the changes I made in the excel table are still there they are and everything looks fine.

Heres the problem.  When I click inside the excel table after the above scenario the changed data is no longer there and sometimes some of the other data is corrupted.  When I close the embedded excel table I get the first error message "cannot be accessed. The file may be corrupted, located on a server that is not responding, or read-only." again.

If I try to save and close the visio drawing I get the following error message: "Visio internal error: #3400.  Action 2463: ???  First try closing and reopening the file.  Next try restarting Visio."  I get into a vicious loop with this error and I cannot save the visio drawing.

If I choose not to save my changes the visio drawing closes and I have lost all my changes.  This happens with all of my visio drawings.  My excel table in visio is corrupted and I have to re-create my changes again.  Sometimes my entire excel table data is wiped out on the visio drawing.

I am using a Dell Inspiron 17, 5000 series laptop with Intel I7, 2.5GHz, 16GB memory, x64.  Running Windows 10 Pro, Office 2013 suite, and Visio 2016.

I have included pics of my error messages.  Sorry this is so long winded and I hope its not hard to follow.  This is driving me crazy.  My process was working fine until I upgraded to Visio 2016.
Can anyone help?