Clipboard overflow?

Started by Jennifer, February 03, 2018, 01:55:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I have a mildly complex diagram that includes a number of jpg images. If I select all of the shapes on one sheet, I can save them as a jpg file. The resulting jpg is about 2.5 mb. If I then try to save it again, I get an error saying that Visio cannot complete the save. The error varies. I think one time it said something about it not being able to clear the clipboard and if it recurred, I should restart the computer.

Restarting Visio sometimes works. Restarting the computer has worked every time.

One time, I copied a small text block to the clipboard and then tried to save the whole page as a jpg. That worked once.

Any clues what is going on?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Jennifer

I've attached the latest error (920). This time, copying a small text block to the clipboard was not successful, but closing and restarrting Visio was.

Jennifer

I am getting this error message again. This time neither clearing the clipboard nor restarting Visio works.

This is a fairly simple, diagram of a child's playhouse (5' x 8').

Paul Herber

Are you still using Visio 2010 on Win XP?
What file format have you selected for the Save As?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

Yep, still in the process of moving everything to a new Win10 machine with Office 365. But Visio doesn't come with Office anymore, so I have to buy it separately and I haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

I'm trying to save it as a jpeg. Would another format work better?

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

Same error with png.

I have a workaround. The diagram has 2 views. I've saved them as separate jpg files.

Thanks

vojo

Visio 2013 on windows 10 ....Save in general is all mucked up.   (Visio 2003 on windows 10 works fine).
save stencils has problems, saving drawings have problems, etc
While I don't get these messages, I do get visio to lock up regularly (have to restart visio)

For JPEG, could try to lower the resolution some on the JPEG export.

Of course, you kick old school and scrape the screen with snipping tool and save that  ;-) ;-) ;-)

BTW, with office 2013, you cant copy paste visio to power point...I do get these kinds of errors if native copy paste (visio object)
Don't get these errors if copy paste special ==> EMF format or JPEG formats.

Jennifer

Quote from: vojo on December 13, 2019, 02:40:40 PM
Visio 2013 on windows 10 ....Save in general is all mucked up.   (Visio 2003 on windows 10 works fine).
save stencils has problems, saving drawings have problems, etc
While I don't get these messages, I do get visio to lock up regularly (have to restart visio)

For JPEG, could try to lower the resolution some on the JPEG export.

Of course, you kick old school and scrape the screen with snipping tool and save that  ;-) ;-) ;-)

BTW, with office 2013, you cant copy paste visio to power point...I do get these kinds of errors if native copy paste (visio object)
Don't get these errors if copy paste special ==> EMF format or JPEG formats.
Wow. Thanks for all that research. I was hoping all these problems would go away with the latest Visio and OS. (sigh)

I'm starting to think that Visio is no longer serving me well. I originally got it for flowcharts, but I rarely do that anymore. I kept it for more general graphics work mainly because I already knew it. But not I think it's time for me to look for a better general-purpose graphics program that is fully supported. Photoshop is a little too expensive. I've heard that Lightroom is just as good as Photoshop for non-professionals. Any other recommendations?

vojo

yep

The only problem is that diagramming at this level is really "just move to smart draw or edraw...maybe Adobe - not sure"
All the open source projects are pretty clumsy
draw.io is static shapes (everything interesting I have found there are static images of shapes created from Adobe)
Libre or open draw are clumsy
Inkscape has real potential but few are focusing drawing extensions 
(yes, I could jump into that but the problem I have found is all the extension "header" info needed for any python based extension is not clearly described, to me at least).
Dia is static
etc.

Yes, I do need to find the next generation tool.  Unfortunately, for MS, if the discussion turns into monthly fee (adobe vs office 365...then that might be more of impetus to move to Adobe or other approach since 2013 is such a devolved solution from 2003)