Carriage returns in UML template activity diagrams

Started by Lisa Hughes, March 26, 2009, 01:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Hughes

How can I insert a carriage return into the 'Name' text box in an Action State box. This is an Activity diagram notation, using the UML template, in Visio 2007. Basically, the box is too wide, and I want to shorten it by wrapping the text over two lines. However, I cannot work out how to do this. I have also tried resizing the box, but I have been unable to do so.

Visio Guy

Hi Lisa,

I don't think you can wrap the name. You might switch the font to "Arial Narrow" to gain back some space.

Or just hack the shape by doing this:

1. Window > Show ShapeSheet
2. Width = 1.5 in (or something)

You can also go to the Protection section of the ShapeSheet and unlock the Width (LockWidth = 0), then you can freely resize the shape in the horizontal.

For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Paul Herber

I think you'll find that carriage returns are not allowed in the state name syntax in the UML.
A pity because carriage returns were allowed (using special syntax) in names in the software that the UML was derived from.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Lisa Hughes

Thank you both very much for your prompt replies and advice.

Using "Arial Narrow" to resize the text has helped.

I changed the ShapeSheet protection to LockWidth=0 and LockHeight=0, and I also removed the shape protection via Format -> Protection. However, I still cannot resize the shape. In addition, I also tried to change the width in the Size and Position window but it would not accept the change, presumably because there is still shape protection being applied somewhere in the application software.

I have decided to be philosophical about this, and give up, because I can not think of anything else to try. I can only assume that there is a bug in the software; surely the application can not be deliberately designed to be this user unfriendly.

It is a shame that carriage returns are not allowed in UML syntax as this would have given me another option to try. C'est la vie!

Visio Guy

Hi Lisa,

You have to overwrite the values for Width (and Height I think)

These cells have GUARD formulas if I remember correctly. Just type in a value, like 1, and hit enter and that will blow away the GUARD formula.

Hope this makes sense!
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

Lisa Hughes

Dear Visio Guy

Thank you very much for the prompt response and the advice again.

All I can say is, 'Aha!  One of those eureka moments!' Your advice worked this time.

I haven't used Visio very often, and hence haven't deemed it worth investing in a manual to tell me how to use it. After this experience, I now think that I should purchase a Visio manual.  I have found the MS Help provided with Visio 2007 quite poor. There is almost no information in it about ShapeSheets.

Can you recommend a good Visio 2007 manual aimed at a business analyst who wants to use Visio 2007 to draw UML diagrams?

Thanks again. This is a great forum.