Is there a way to have multiple copies of an object from a single master?

Started by Jennifer, January 19, 2018, 02:40:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I have a document with several complex objects created from jpg and png image files. If I store them all in their full resolution, the Visio document gets huge (200+mb and growing). My solution so far has been to compress them, but then the visual resolution suffers.

Is there a way that I can have a single master copy of an object (shape) and then be able to use it on multiple pages by just linking to it with a minimal increase in document size?

Ideally, I'd like to put these master objects in a separate file or library and link to them form there.

Thanks
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Paul Herber

That is exactly what a stencil is for. When a shape is dropped from the stencil onto a page then a copy of the shape is placed into what is called the Document Stencil, i.e. a local copy of what is in the stencil. Extra instances of the same shape then take up very little extra space.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Jennifer

Quote from: Paul Herber on January 19, 2018, 11:50:11 AM
That is exactly what a stencil is for. When a shape is dropped from the stencil onto a page then a copy of the shape is placed into what is called the Document Stencil, i.e. a local copy of what is in the stencil. Extra instances of the same shape then take up very little extra space.
Perfect, thanks. In researching stencils, I got a little confused about the difference between a stencil and a template. It appears that both are stored in separate files (.vst and .vss). If I want to put a complex shape (or collection of shapes) somewhere so that any Visio document can access them, is that a stencil or a template?

Can you provide a brief summary or a pointer to a really good tutorial?

vojo

Stencil

Template is for environment settings like mm vs inches...or....say you wanted a unique background page for every foregnd page

when you pull a shape from a stencil...it goes like this

<my special>stencil  ==> document stencil ===>presentation on screen

change <my special >stencil....all uses going forward catch changes....NO uses prior to change has any awareness of changes
change doc stencil...all shapes in the current drawing is change....<my special> stencil does not change nor the use of shapes in any other document.

Jennifer

OK, thanks. I'm reading up on stencils.

One quick question. Suppose I have an "object" that consists of 20-30 clipart images, such as a lake, some boats, some picnic tables, and some people. I want to use the composite "object" containing all 30 images as a unit. What's the best way to store it as a stencil:

• As a disparate collection?
  • As a group, with whatever group setting I need, like no ability to select individual elements?
  • As a single graphic object created by saving the collection as a jpg or png file and then copying it back into Visio?

Jennifer

I am having a little trouble working with stencils. Can someone help me whatever it is that I am doing wrong?

Q1 How can I rename a stencil?

I created a new stencil by clicking on the New Stencil icon in the Stencil section of the Developer tab. I got a stencil named Stencil13.

Q2 Where should new custom (personal) stencils be stored?

With Stencil13 visible, I see a little diskette icon. If I click on it, I get a Save As dialog, but the folder is the one where the Visio document is stored. If I save it there, then it is not available to other Visio documents. If I resave it, but navigate to \My Shapes,

Shouldn't it be in \My Documents\My shapes?

Thanks

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro