Can't get fill shading to work on oval shape

Started by Jennifer, January 16, 2018, 04:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I have been creating picture frames to illustrate some artwork. For the rectangular frames, I make them out of 4 rectangular shapes with the corners chopped off. I then set the fill to pattern #30 so that there is a little color gradient. It's crude, but it works for what I need.

Now I need to create an oval frame. I'd like to be able to get the same shading, but I'm having trouble. I created the oval by placing a small over inside of a larger one and fragmenting. I tried the same method, but with fill pattern 35 or 40. But it looks like the shading happens over the entire shape, so the difference in the 1" frame area is barely discernible.

Is there a way to get the oval in the attached image to look like the rectangle?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

vojo

I don't think there is a "concentric" fill patterns

You could this
1) create 3 or more ovals (each 10% smaller than predecessor)
2) color each to sort of create a gradient (red, orange, yellow)
3) align and order
4) if center is white, then 1 more smaller oval
5) group them  (union will get rid of colors)

If you want to get slick and play with shapesheet
- set color at group level
- set 1 oval as group RGB - 20  (its more complicated than that...but conveys idea)
- set 1 oval as group RGB
- set 1 oval as group + 20

So as a result, you could set color at group level and the subshape colors are automatically set

see attached

Jennifer

Yep, I thought about using multiple concentric ovals with slightly lighter colors. That's probably what I'll end up doing.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by "concentric fill pattern". Patterns 35 & 45 both cause what I would call concentric shading. The attached image uses #45.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

wapperdude

Just remember, using concentric, overlapping rings to include oversized, filled shadows.  This gives you two color gradations per shape.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro