Fragment resets fill

Started by Jennifer, January 16, 2018, 04:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

Is there a way to do a Fragment operation and retain the Fill settings?

I have been constructing picture frames to illustrate some artwork. I have been using Fragment to create 45° ends. Most of the time, the Fragment operation resets the Fill settings, so I have to redo it. One time, the fragmented segment retained the Fill setting. I couldn't figure out what I did differently.
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

vojo

Not that I am aware of.

usually
- if different regions need different fill....then use a group approach.
- if all regions have same fill...then get the shape they way you want (fragment/union/etc)...then work the fill "stuff"

Jennifer

Quote from: vojo on January 16, 2018, 06:37:38 PM
Not that I am aware of.

usually
- if different regions need different fill....then use a group approach.
- if all regions have same fill...then get the shape they way you want (fragment/union/etc)...then work the fill "stuff"
But sometimes the fragments do retain the fill settings. I just haven't figured out what makes it happen.

vojo

Lucky you...I have not seen fills survive operations....but I what I need to do vs a lot of operations experiments

I could be that the result shape uses the first shape fill of a collection of shapes used for operation
(I do know align and such orients off first shape of the collection).

Jennifer

Quote from: vojo on January 18, 2018, 02:02:11 AM
I could be that the result shape uses the first shape fill of a collection of shapes used for operation
(I do know align and such orients off first shape of the collection).

Good suggestion!  ;)  I just did a little experimenting using the "Before fragmenting" shape collection shown above -- the one with the shaded rectangle and the two diagonal lines.

• I selected the three shapes by drawing a rectangle around them with the Pointer tool. Fragment causes the fill to be lost. Actually, I think it causes the fill to be the fill of the diagonal lines.
  • I manually selected the shaded rectangle first and then the two lines. Fragment preserves the fill.  ;D
  • I selected the shaded rectangle and then, using the Format Painter, I copied the fill to the two lines. I then repeated step 1 by selecting all three shapes with the Pointer tool. Fragment preserves the fill.

It looks like you were right. Brilliant. I now have a new trick in my Visio bag!  :) :D ;D 8)

Thank you very much.