Why do copied shapes go off the screen?

Started by Jennifer, January 16, 2018, 06:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

If I am zoomed in to a page so that only a small portion of it is on the screen and I copy a shape to the clipboard and then scroll to a different part of the page and paste it, it gets pasted back near the spot from where it was copied, not where I am.

Can someone explain to me why the #@$&! it works this way?  :( >:(

And it there any way to make it behave better?
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

Surrogate

Jennifer

Visio Version 2010. I think that's in my signature.

Surrogate

Sorry, at my side signatures are not shown.

You tried paste with Ctrl+V keys ? try use context menu.

Jennifer

Quote from: Surrogate on January 16, 2018, 08:19:51 AM
You tried paste with Ctrl+V keys ? try use context menu.

By "context menu", I assume you mean the Paste icon on the Clipboard section of the Home tab, right?

I first tried just clicking on the Paste icon. That worked exactly like Ctrl+V. It pasted it by the place where I copied it from.

Next I tried Paste Special. All of those options pasted it in the middle of the screen, which is what I wanted. Great, thanks.

I assume that the default option, Visio Drawing Data, is the same as Ctrl-V (except for the placement). Right? I think I understand what the last 3 options do (Picture, Enhanced Picture, and Bitmap). But what does the first one do (Microsoft Visio Drawing)?

Surrogate

As context menu, I meant pop-up menu which you can see after right button click on mouse

Jennifer

Quote from: Surrogate on January 16, 2018, 09:42:37 AM
As context menu, I meant pop-up menu which you can see after right button click on mouse
Wow  :o  I've used the right-click menu forever on shapes to format text and fill. I guess I noticed the copy & paste options, but it never occurred to me to use them on the screen. This is great. Now I can paste them right where I need them. Thanks for saving me a lot of time and cursing.

I wonder why Ctrl-v doesn't work this way. Why doesn't it do the paste right where the cursor is? Why would anyone want something pasted way off the screen?

Anyway, thanks a mission.  :D