scaled fill pattern not working

Started by dtallent, January 12, 2018, 05:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtallent

I know I am doing something wrong, probably just a labeling issue. I am trying to design a fill pattern using a tile like the image attached. I am trying to create a fill pattern to create the image of a tiled floor. I can't get the tile to appear in the pattern fill unless I select it to completely fill the object, but that s not what I want. I just want the tile to appear multiple times to fill the shape.  Tell me how simple this fix is. I have racked my brain all morning.

dtallent

I am thinking I can't use an image as a fill pattern. I can get it to work if I draw a freehand drawing.

AJD

I am not at Visio at the moment so cannot double check what I am about to describe here.
Basically, you want to create a Fill Master. The easiest way is to use the Document Explorer and open the Fill section.  From here you can (from memory) right click and add a new Master to the group.

Edit the Master by adding your image. Once the Master shape has been created, you can use the Fill properties (on the Master) to describe the shapes behaviour. In 2007/2010 this would be a dialog box with options to tile, fill ,centre etc.

dtallent

Everything you put I have already done, but when I fill the shape with the pattern it is blank. I have been playing around with it and can not get an image to repeat for some reason. I will probably need to step away and come back to it later.

wapperdude

See attached.

Set the drawing page to have a scale definition rather than generic 1:1.  For example 1" = 2'
Open the Fill drawing page.  Make sure it has appropriate scale setting.  If your tile is 6" by 6", then 1" = 1" is fine.
Insert picture, protect aspect ratio, and draw it to correct size, e.g., 6" by 6"
Set properties to be multiple and scaled.

Save fill pattern.
Draw your floor plan, format fill to be above named pattern.

HTH.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro