Connection Point Moves Freely From Shape

Started by justinaray, December 05, 2017, 03:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinaray

I am trying to add the yellow connection point to one of my visio shapes. In the shape sheet I added a connection point and a controls point, but when I click and drag the point on visio it moves freely from the shape. How am I able to lock in the control point to have the shape move with it? Thank you for any help!

wapperdude

The yellow point is not a connection point, it is a control point.  By design, the behavior is to move the control point independent of the shape placement, and if the shape moves then the control point will track with the shape.  The control point can be enabled for gluing.  Then, if it s glued, it becomes anchored to that spot and remains fixed even if the shape is moved.

There is a sort of exception to this, but it's tricky.  Deselect the shape, they, precisely re-select with mouse down on the control point.  Keep the mouse down and drag.  Visio will think it's moving the shape, but the mouse will be located at the control point.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

justinaray

This sounds like it is probably more complicated than I think and why it is hard to find any answers to this. Our German counterparts are able to lock the control points on the shapes and I can't figure out how it is accomplished.

wapperdude

You can "lock", i.e., glue via shapesheet.

Open the shape which is the parent of the control.  In the control section, turn on the "can glue" attribute.  Close shape sheet.  Note, for the page you may have to enable gluing options.  Now, when you move the control to some shape, it should glue to it.  Moving this 2nd shape will cause the control point to move with it.  Likewise if you move the parent shape, the control will remain locked to the 2nd shape.

This is a different scenario than your initial description.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro