Buildings / Rooms in Visio

Started by dariusvw, November 16, 2017, 08:13:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dariusvw

Greetings

I work at a school and due to various reasons i need building / floor plans.
The best way I can think to create these with the tools i have is Visio, Which i have only used for Org Charts or to explain our AD Group Structure.

This would be quite a bit bigger, project wise, than i have done before.
Now i am not so much concerned with 100% Dimensional accuracy, more with getting it to look on Visio/paper like it does in Reality.

Does anyone know of a good "how to" for Visio and floor plans?

I basically want to do each wing/floor as it's own Diagram, which in some cases would be 4-5 Classrooms in a row with a staircase in between some of them
In other cases, like the library would be 1 large room with a few smaller rooms inside it as well as some "sub dividing walls" or shoulder high walls.

A few things i have not yet worked out how to do.
> getting room A and Room B that share a wall to connect to each other properly. The 2 room shapes only snap together when i zoom in quite a bit
> using the L or T shaped room. "Shape Data" only lets me type in the Width and Length. Can i not type in the other 4 - 5 dimensions.
> Dimensions in on the Room Shape are all in MM while the "Room Measurement" shape seems to change between MM, CM and M depending on the size of the room? Can i not make them all display in a consistent measurement?
> are "controller Dimensions" supposed to change the length of the shape they are attached to?

Thanks for the Read and any Info provided

dariusvw

no one doing this kind of thing?

Pity.

o-well i shall Continue bumbling along.

Yacine

small community ... and those who do floorplans don't come regularly.

Anyway:
Quote> getting room A and Room B that share a wall to connect to each other properly. The 2 room shapes only snap together when i zoom in quite a bit
You can increase the snapping "force". VIEW\Visual support(?)\more options.
You can also use walls instead of rooms.

Quote> using the L or T shaped room. "Shape Data" only lets me type in the Width and Length. Can i not type in the other 4 - 5 dimensions.
Obviously the designer of the shape thought that the control points would be enough. You can however write your own smartshape by extending the existing one.

No clue about your other questions.

Cheers,
Y.
Yacine