Controlling shapes using connected lines' values.

Started by natelfo, November 08, 2017, 03:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

natelfo

This is something I posted in msofficeforums and it was suggested that I post it here.

Hello everyone. I just started using Visio and I am teaching myself how to use it, through tutorials and reading about it and I have learned a lot in the last few days. I'm primarily going to be using it for electrical schematics.

One thing I am trying to figure out how to do, or if it can be done, is can you use a connection point as a source for an action/control? For example, lets say I want to control a relay and there is a connection point to the power input pin. I would like to be able to use a value, say a scratch value of a connecting line's shapesheet, to change a value on the relay depending on whether that line is connected or not?

Basically, can a value on a connector line's sheet influence what it is connected to, and vice-versa, and be limited by whether or not that line is connected to a particular item. What I want to do is make an interactive schematic where a line will be red if it has power on it, then you close a switch, which passes the power through, turning the next line red, and that line connects to and triggers a relay. I would like this to be line status dependent so that I can make a master stencil for these parts that look at what's connected instead of specific sheet numbers, so I don't have to modify them too much as these will be used in various schematics.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Ken

Natelfo:

I built such a beast a number of years ago specifically to prototype relay circuits.  Check it out: http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=6969.msg29130#msg29130.  A cool toy.

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

wapperdude

Cannot be done in shapesheet, could be done in code.   Near Visio versions have updated the object model making it relatively simple to get connectivity info.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro