Manual Routing Only

Started by carthago2, November 06, 2017, 04:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carthago2

I am being forced to use Visio as an electrical schematic layout tool. The main problem I have is the auto-routing and snap behaviors of Visio 2013.

I do not want Visio to make any decisions on its own. I want to have absolute control of my routing and have connections made only where I put them and not jump around. One behavior I really detest is Visio jumping my connection placements to the middle of shapes. I never want it to connect to the middle of a shape. I prefer that all connections snap to grid as I place them and stay put unless I decide to move them. I prefer that my desired behaviors are uniform across the document and not require me to setup for individual pages.

Is this possible with Visio?

wapperdude

Visio is a cost effective solution, but in terms of comprehensive schematic capture functionality, well, ...it's cost effective.

As far as connecting to the shapes at specific locations...add connection points to the shape.

As far as re-routing, that's more troublesome.  It just doesn't work as well as a bonafide schematic program.  You can set a dynamic connectors behavior to do not re-route.  But, it's not global, at least not in V2007.  So, you can set that to a connector, then copy/paste each time out need it, or make it a custom connector and save to a stencil.  Then it'll be a drag/drop.  But, routing it becomes a pain in the rear.

So, the company saves on product cost, but incurs elevated labor costs because your job now takes longer and is more frustrating.

Not that I have an opinion on this.   :o
Wapperdude

PS:  I've done both ways.  Visio is ok for simple documentation, especially if you don't mind auto-rerouting.  Hen it's quick.  If you need comprehensive component tracking, layout verification...forget it.
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

To add to Wapperdude's explanation: I face the same problem, so I added in my custom ribbon the button "never re-route" and every now and then during the editing process, I select the whole drawing (CTRL-A) and hit this button.
Yacine