Simple newbie question....connector keeps disappearing

Started by jvarty, October 06, 2017, 08:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvarty

Hi

I'm writing a process map, and for some reason whenever I make a connection from one box to another, a separate connector that I want to have is deleted. I have attached an image to explain. The highlighted bits are where I want the new connector / where the existing connector keeps getting deleted...

Its something simple about behaviours (I think), but cant work it out!!!

Thanks

James

wapperdude

Can you up load the file?  What version of Visio are you using?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

jvarty

Hi

Sorry for the delay - I've uploaded the file. The version is 2007.

Cheers

James

wapperdude

Would have helped if you had indicated you were doing this via Org Chart.  The problem is simple, you cannot have two "bosses" controlling one shape.  Visio doesn't allow that. 

The dashed line connecting the "Courses" shape to the "Client registers..." shape, begins with the Courses and ends with the Client.  That makes the Courses the boss for Client.  Now you add a connector from "Custody officer..." to Client.  That makes Custody the boss for Client, so Client has 2 bosses.  The causes the connector from Courses to Client to disappear.

Two solutions:
1) reverse the connector so that it originates with Client and ends at Courses.  Now Client becomes boss.  So, when you add the Custody to Client connector there is no double boss scenario.
2a)  Use the dotted-line report connector.  It is treated differently and avoids double boss syndrome.
2b)  Use a regular line, not a dynamic connector.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

jvarty

Wapperdude - many thanks for that

I'm guessing that there's no way of turning off the double boss function? Many of my processes have more than one connector output and I'd like to keep solid lines. Originating the connector from the 2nd box is a good work around, but gets complex if there are multiple connectors involved!

Thanks again

wapperdude

Don't know of any way to inhibit that dumb feature.  I have V2007, but don't believe the newer versions provide an option.

Visio 2019 Pro