Merge background into foreground, get rid of background page

Started by rdb9879, October 03, 2017, 10:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdb9879

Greetings,

I normally use background pages to normalize the border information of my foreground pages, without having to do a ton of copying and pasting. Apparently, we deemed our end customer too dumb to be able to figure out that if they ever need to modify this border information, they have to select the background pages to do so.

Is there a way to get rid of the background pages, but have the information still appear and be editable in the foreground pages? After I delete the background page, we need the user to be able to change the border information of each page, individually.

Is this possible?

Surrogate

You can do it only if you write VBA (or other language) code !

wapperdude

Hmmm...
Can't you just go to background page, do <cntl> + A, to select all, then copy, goto foregnd and paste???

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

But topic starter want prevent tons of copy/paste actions.

Another way: create template which contain specially prepared smart shapes aka masters 'Borders and etc'.
Like as in this article Templates Visio "Basic inscriptions GOST R 21.1101-2013".
Create masters require special knowledge too!

wapperdude

@Surrogate:   :)  Yes, about original statement.  But, that doesn't necessarily exclude a single copy / paste action.  Depends upon whether or not the OP wants everything on BG page or not.

@OP:  There could be another option, using layers.  Might be easy solution to collect onto objects that belong to specific layer. 

There are other possible scenarios...

How many drawing pages in typical document?  Is there a lot of common, shared information among these pages?  How much unique information per page...page number, page name, etc?

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Surrogate

I highlight key words of topic starter
Quote from: rdb9879 on October 03, 2017, 10:04:31 PM
Apparently, we deemed our end customer too dumb to be able to figure out that if they ever need to modify this border information, they have to select the background pages to do so
:o