Easily reproducible bug, unless I'm completely missing something?

Started by DSlatkin, September 22, 2017, 04:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DSlatkin

Almost certain that I've discovered a bug in Visio 2016 that is easily reproducible? Would love if others could try and share their thoughts:
  • Create a new blank document.
  • Draw four rectangle shapes on the document (call them A, B, C, and D).
  • Assign the Office theme, variant 1 to the document.
  • Create a new stencil.
  • Move rectangle A from the document to the stencil.
  • Change the document to variant 2, move rectangle B to the stencil.
  • Change the document to variant 3, move rectangle C to the stencil.
  • Change the document to variant 4, move rectangle D to the stencil (should be no more rectangles in the document).
  • Copy rectangles A, B, C, and D from the stencil to the document.
  • Change between theme variants 1, 2, 3, and 4 and observe the shape styles.
Unexpected behavior:
  • When you set the document to theme variant 1, the the styles of rectangles B, C, and D on the document do NOT match the current theme variant. Rectangle A does.
  • If you change to theme variants 2, 3, or 4, the styles of all rectangles A, B, C, and D on the document DO match the current theme variant.
  • Possible conclusion: The shapes in the stencil remember the theme variant set on the document when they were added to the stencil, and are somehow fixed to that variant when later placed back on the document, but only for variant 1.
Any thoughts on this? There's a lot more detail and suspicion I can go into for why this happens and other cases where this is reproducible, but would like to confirm I'm not missing something blatantly obvious here.

Thanks all!

Paul Herber

Sorry. don't know what you mean by 'assigned to the document by default' or 'Change the document to Variant n'.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

vojo

man...talk about nomenclature challenges.  I cant figure what is even talking about

- You move shapes into or out of stencils
    - Stencils are drawing independent "file" for shapes so that they can be used across many drawings
    - when you pull a shape from a stencil...an instance of that shape (in document stencil) is created
         - change stencil shape....nothing happens to the drawing
         - change document stencil shape...all shapes in drawing tied to that doc stencil shape, change
    - No real concept of stencil theme (unless you want to make your shape intelligent)

I am really not sure what you are getting at.

That said, there lots of bugs in 2013 and 2016

DSlatkin

Quote from: vojo on September 22, 2017, 05:56:15 PM
man...talk about nomenclature challenges.  I cant figure what is even talking about

- You move shapes into or out of stencils
    - Stencils are drawing independent "file" for shapes so that they can be used across many drawings
    - when you pull a shape from a stencil...an instance of that shape (in document stencil) is created
         - change stencil shape....nothing happens to the drawing
         - change document stencil shape...all shapes in drawing tied to that doc stencil shape, change
    - No real concept of stencil theme (unless you want to make your shape intelligent)

I am really not sure what you are getting at.

That said, there lots of bugs in 2013 and 2016
I have updated the original post. Let me know if you are still have difficulty understanding.

wapperdude

Guess I arrived late to the party.  Well, the new invitation seems fine...understandable.  Unfortunately I have V2007, so cannot comment on the bug...does sound like it's real, though.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro