Starting with DWG files and ending with detailed Visio shapes?

Started by 149113, September 09, 2017, 03:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

After doing extensive search for Visio templates for a popular industrial automation manufacturer I came up empty. Instead the manufacturer has an extensive library of DWG files for PLC's (Programmable Logic Controllers). Very detailed and exact wireframes of the objects - black lines, polygons, fonts - all in vector format. I would like to "convert" or create detailed Visio shapes similar to what we see from HP or Dell (ie shading, color fills, etc...) from these existing DWG files. What is the easiest path to that end without putting in a ton of editing time or manual processes? Is there a quick way to do this?

Paul Herber

A .DWG file can be imported into Visio using the Insert -> CAD Drawing menu. Create a new stencil and drag the shape into this stencil and save it.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Quote from: Paul Herber on September 09, 2017, 03:19:53 PM
A .DWG file can be imported into Visio using the Insert -> CAD Drawing menu. Create a new stencil and drag the shape into this stencil and save it.

Yup, definitely know that process. What I am looking for is how to transform these wireframe DWG files into objects with shading, fountain fills, gradients, etc... Basically transforming the existing object into something that looks three dimensional and similar to how some of the rack mountable server and network objects look.

Yacine

Your second picture is probably rendered from a 3D model. (looking at the name and the quality of the picture)
That would be the best, but also the most labour intense version.

Easier ways could be to work with prepared smartshapes, showing bevels, shadows and so on.

But unless you do some really hardcore AI shape recognition job, transforming the DWGs in rendered realistic representations will remain an honest manual craftmanship.
No simple automation to expect here.
Yacine

Quote from: Yacine on September 10, 2017, 10:58:18 AM
Your second picture is probably rendered from a 3D model. (looking at the name and the quality of the picture)
That would be the best, but also the most labour intense version.

Easier ways could be to work with prepared smartshapes, showing bevels, shadows and so on.

But unless you do some really hardcore AI shape recognition job, transforming the DWGs in rendered realistic representations will remain an honest manual craftmanship.
No simple automation to expect here.

That's what I kinda expected but thought I'd ask the experts. What makes it especially difficult is that none of the lines in the native DWG wireframe are actually joined so even selecting and filling the objects is especially difficult. I didn't know if there was a way to automate that portion of the task since that seems like it would be the most labor intensive part. I've uploaded one DWG for review. I've got almost 300 or these parts in CAD format and the hope was to transform them to something more realistic without a long labor demand.

wapperdude

Do you need to vary the size?  You could sAve the "rendered" drawing as a pinqg, or some other appropriate format.  Then import picture into Visio.  One caution would defile size.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Quote from: wapperdude on September 10, 2017, 08:42:09 PM
Do you need to vary the size?  You could sAve the "rendered" drawing as a pinqg, or some other appropriate format.  Then import picture into Visio.  One caution would defile size.

Wapperdude

Yes, I need to keep the vector intact through the process. Ideally... wireframe vector DWG to Visio shape all the while retaining the vector integrity. Converting to a bitmap won't suffice as these will be scaled