How to reverseEN regular local Access database into Visio's database diagram?

Started by mfilsht, September 06, 2017, 10:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfilsht

I installed the visdbre_en-us_x64.msi (visio add-in) but i cant get it configured the right way to import the relationships.  It only imports the tables.

I am not sure how to select the appropriate "drivers", and I am not running any servers, its just a local access file.  Maybe there is a different way to export/import into a ERD in visio...

access/office 365 64bit
Visio Pro office 365 64bit
win7 ultimate 64bit

mfilsht

Nikolay

Then it will work. With Visio 2003 Enterprise Architect. Even with the latest version of Access 2016.

Note that there is no "Visio 2003 x64" (there were no x64 processors in year 2003), so you'll need x86 versions of everything,
because you can't have x64 and x86 office components installed on the same machine at the same time.

mfilsht

so, if i put Access 2016 32bit and Visio 2003 into a Virtual Machine, do you think it will work?

Do you know if Visio 2003 Enterprise Architect included into a Visio 2003 Pro?

And I suspect that once i create the model in 2003 visio, i could probably resave it into the latest version of visio, what do you think?

Nikolay

Quote from: mfilsht on September 08, 2017, 04:33:46 AM
so, if i put Access 2016 32bit and Visio 2003 into a Virtual Machine, do you think it will work?

Yes

Do you know if Visio 2003 Enterprise Architect included into a Visio 2003 Pro?

No, it is the opposite - Pro is (was) included in EA. With Pro you will be able to reverse engineer the database, with EA - both reverse and forward engineer (read / generate / update) the database.

And I suspect that once i create the model in 2003 visio, i could probably resave it into the latest version of visio, what do you think?

You will be able to open it in in the latest visio version, but not edit, forward or reverse engineer. In other words, you will get the diagram, but not the functionality related to the database (because that functionality was removed from visio).