Stencils in 'stencils' file location not showing up in menu

Started by sjwk, August 29, 2017, 10:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjwk

So, we've just upgraded from Visio 2010 to 2016.  I have a folder full of stencils (provided by various hardware suppliers of their products) on a network drive accessible to myself and my colleagues.  However, even though I've set the 'stencils' file location in options to point to that folder, nothing in it shows up in the list of shapes.

I saw some similar problems posted here with Visio 2013, and have tried changing from Metric to Imperial, and renaming one of the Visio stencil files to end _M.  Neither of those worked.  I did notice that if I copied one of the stencil files from that folder into 'My shapes' in my documents (which is also on a network share), it showed up instantly.  So the files themselves appear to work, and not need renaming - it just doesn't appear to be looking in the location set in 'file locations'.

Any tips on how to get this to work and to actually take note of where it is being told to look, like it did with 2010?  I'd prefer that we don't all have to copy a big folder hierarchy full of stencils into our individual folders, and have problems with them getting out of date when a vendor makes an updated stencil available.

Ta,
Steve.