Main Menu

Org Chart Woes

Started by YossiD, March 18, 2009, 10:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YossiD

I tried creating an org chart using an Excel worksheet and the Visio org chart wizard. The result was accurate, but anything but attractive and easy to read. Here are my questions:

1. Is there any predictable correlation between the order of information in the Excel sheet and positioning of the blocks in Visio? 

2. After rearranging the Visio chart to my liking, is there a way to update it with changes from the Excel sheet without having to rearrange all over again?

3. In some cases I want to have mixed arrangements of subordinates, some arranged horizontally and some vertically, under the same supervisor. Is that possible?

4. Is there a way to specify different font attributes for the different test fields in each block (e.g Position title in bold but employee name not)?

I apologize in advance if there are easy to find answers to these questions, but I couldn't find any.

aledlund

Let's see if I can do these in order.
1. Visio drops shapes randomly to speed the process of drawing the org-chart, by design
2. Changes to the data (using v2007 pro) can be done by data-linking (i.e. non-disruptively),
anytime the orgchart wizard is used you're back to answer number one
3. Don't use the wizard to draw the chart, do it manually
4. The usual technique is to create your own orgchart stencil and modify the master shapes to what you would like
al

rsoby

For modifying the Font characteristics see the thread in Power user - "Text size in a data link ". This is the same way to modify the fonts in data linkage.

YossiD

Thanks for the replies.

I am using Visio 2003 so it looks like I'd be best off doing the whole thing manually. Too bad.